Balnce valve on pumped Central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to check the position of my balance valve. Which has a brass cover over the square key.

It looks like a Comap C x C Gatevalve L/S Brass 15mm as seen on screw fix.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat...HZOCFFA?productId=56961&imageNo=null&ts=45858

Question can I remove the brass cover. I tried this morning and it started to leak a bit. Is it just like a normal gate valve with a cover?

I'm trying to avoid another plumbing disaster.............It was suggested it should be open about half way on this forum after I was concerned I altered it during a previous plumbing disaster.

Here is that post

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=797392#797392

Cheers & TIA for any advice

John

Sponsored Links
The shield doubles as a gland seal, whcih is why they dribble if you remove it.
Open a couple of turns is usually enough.

Is it just like a normal gate valve with a cover? <<Yes

Thanks Chris

What are the affects of having the balance valve open too much or not open a little?

Cheers

John

Depends what it's connected to....
cylinder or just a bypass?

Sponsored Links
Hi Chris

The bypass seems to bypass the heater coil in the cylinder. I've just found a leak at the top heater coil connection with the cylinder which I've carefully tightened and hopefully cured (fingers legs toes crossed).

Cheers

John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back