Why skim plasterboard?

STEVESB wrote

if the same job had been done t&j then after sanding down The client would have had to spend days dustinging and hoovering.

Maybe using this there would have been no dust.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srk2IUpbHNQ

Have seen a lot of commercial dry walling and always wondered what makes plasterers skim a dry lined wall.

Also whats the point of skimmimg a sand/cement plastered wall?
I've seen final finishes with sand/cement plastering that would put skimmers to shame.
And you have something really durable.

Anyway I have a little project at home and the t&j is sold on me and I'm pretty sure I can just hire a Planex out. Heck I might just buy it.
Would be handy for sanding down formwork. Festools are the Kings of dust extraction.

Sponsored Links
id say its a 50/50 game.
id say most new builds and bigger jobs will use tape and jointing for turn around finishing and domestics some builders will still use wet plaster..
we do both and most our Bigger jobs are turning over to tape and jointing
just because its a lot faster cleaner and the painters are in faster.
there really isn't much in it price wise.

We can tape and joint a 2 bed flat in 2 days start to finish with one guy sanded ready for painters.
cant do that skimming ???????
Thats why the site agents love it fast turn around can be cheaper on wide scale jobs.
less guys less snagging.
Im not saying its as good as a plastered wall
But isnt bad if done right you can get a good finish even from a level 2 finish right up to a level 5 full coat finish.........

in my own house I prefer set and skim (in this region they skim onto sand and cement render for traditional reasons, which I like)

What would you want in your own house?

Sponsored Links
Well the Egyptians plastered their walls, and they knew about precision fitting, razor blade anyone? if that is how they did it, its how i do it.

Well the Egyptians skimmed their walls, and they knew about precision fitting, razor blade anyone? if that is how they did it, its how i do it.

Well the Egyptians skimmed their walls, and they knew about precision fitting, razor blade anyone? they did not have to skim, but they wanted a proper job doing, if that is how they did it, its how i do it.[/quote]

Well the Egyptians skimmed their walls, and they knew about precision fitting, razor blade anyone? they did not have to skim, but they wanted a proper job doing, if that is how they did it, its how i do it.

Well Ryan, what did the Egyptians do to their walls then? Ahh, just read your post, your post, your post, your post, they skimmed them, they skimmed them, they skimmed them, they plastered them,,, got it now. Cheers mate. :D :D :D

I'm going to skim my walls. Never did it before.
Got myself a nice set of marshaltowns. If it goes wrong you'll find it over on disasters.
Reckon it will be like doing a slab of concrete except its vertical.

I'm going to skim my walls. Never did it before.
Got myself a nice set of marshaltowns. If it goes wrong you'll find it over on disasters.
Reckon it will be like doing a slab of concrete except its vertical.
thanks for telling us that good luck with it if it goes t**ts up put some pics up here for us to have a look at

Put nearly two bags of carlite bonding on last night to level it up.

A tip I was told about the skim is to rub it up with a float before steel trowel finishing.
Any of you ever hear or try that?

Yes years ago before all the additives went into modern day plasters. it was called cirapite (pronounced) "serra fight",And you used to bring that up with a wooden float and a drop of water. You could also bring it back the next day if you wanted....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back