cavity wall insulation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I'm thinking of having cavity wall insulation to help save money on fuel bills and also keep my house nice and warm.

My house is a mid terrace brick built house,cira 1900.
My concern is if you fill the cavity between the outer wall and the inner wall,(moisture gap) wont that compromise the whole point of having a cavity wall?

I know that the insulation they use is moisture resistant but if moisture does get through the outer wall it has to go some where!

All comments and advice welcome,Thanks,Madsey.

Sponsored Links
No, a full fill cavity wall is a proven method of construction and acceptable retrospective insulation method

Has the house definitley got a cavity and not solid?

Probably not in a turn of the century terrace but you can check, provided the brickwork externally has not been rendered. Look at the brick coursings, if in every six or eight courses of stretchers, there is a couse of headers and this is repeated up the face of the wall then the brickwork is of solid construction ie does not have a cavity. If the face of the bicks on every course are stretchers then its cavity construction ;)

Sponsored Links
The house defenitly has cavity walls.
The outer wall and inner wall are tied with header bricks.
The house has not been rendered.

The outer wall and inner wall are tied with header bricks.

Then it is unlikely to be a cavity wall.

A cavity wall can not be tied with header bricks - if it is then it is a solid wall

The house DEFINITLEY has cavity walls,i've seen the cavity.

The question wasn't about whether the house had cavity walls or not,
The question was whether filling a cavity wall with insulation compromises the whole point of having a cavity wall!
i.e. to stop damp crossing from the outer wall
to the inner wall!!!

No need to snap

The question is relevant as you have stated that "The outer wall and inner wall are tied with header bricks.

Personally, I've never seen a cavity wall tied together with bricks, but there you go

In this case you have a cold bridge across the cavity, and also a route for dampness to travel across from the outer to the inner leaf, so cavity wall insulation will be totally ineffective, and with regards to your original question, then your wall is already compromised by the tie bricks and so insulation is not going to make any difference to dampness susceptibility

If in fact, your wall is a cavity and does not have any tie bricks, then see post nr 2 above

The question wasn't about whether the house had cavity walls or not,

So why did you ask that in your first post...? having cavity wall insulation?

woody gave you a very good explanation.

Don't be like that when people are willing to help, i felt you snapped, you should be greatful that woody replied

Hey libby lou lou,
The post was about filling a cavity wall with insulation
and whether that would compromise the whole point of a cavity wall
(stopping damp transfer).

lol :LOL:

If your wit was used for insulation, then your house would be pretty cold - and damp and miserable too.

But actually, your question was not about "filling a cavity wall with insulation" it was about if your walls would be compromised by having insulation fitted

And check out "All comments and advice welcome,Thanks,Madsey." :rolleyes:

^woody^";p="831390 said:
No need to snap

The question is relevant as you have stated that "The outer wall and inner wall are tied with header bricks.

Personally, I've never seen a cavity wall tied together with bricks, but there you go

I've seen this type of cavity used in Slough. Three inch cavity, with headers every four bricks. The walls were rendered so I couldn't tell wether the headers were evenly spaced across the cavity or alternating, flush on the internal and external faces.

Yes but thats not a cavity wall (two independent leaves tied with steel or plastic ties) - was it some kind of rat-trap bond?

Hey woody,
The cavity is very small,about 3'' and the headers are very randam,not in any pattern.
Anyway,i dont think i'll bother with cavity wall insulation,i have dry walls and thats how i want them to stay.
we have a good laugh in here if nothing else.

Cheers,madsey.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back