Sodium outside street lamp faults HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im trying to find out the obvious problem with some street lights, when i turn them on they light as normal then after 10 minutes they go off then on again, i have been told that it is the external igniter which is at fault but i have changed these and still the flashing happens, so the question is do the lamps fail and make the street light do this?

Sponsored Links
Yes. Lamps start to cycle when they get old. I would try replacing the lamps first.

only done a couple of these but both didnt like to be anything other than horizontal - facing down too low they switched off

are they new ? and have they got inbuilt photocells ?

Sponsored Links
If there BC sox lamps
Check the wattage on the lamp ballast and controller,and that they are all compatible
They do not use standard son igniters
There is two or three size lamps that all fit, but not always interchangeble
A dodgy lamp is usually more reddy colour than yellow.

Usually if a lamp is "flashing" then its a SON coming to the end of its life cyce and if you look at the arc tube in the lamp it will be going black and the lamp may look cloudy.
The ignitors dont usually cause this and if they fail the lamp wont strike or if they are not the selfstopping type and the lamp fails they will burn out and it smells awful.

Would you say 10 mins on, 30 mins off is "flashing" (lamp fault)? or would that be a gear fault??

It's just that I've also got some lamps doing this and they are 5+ meters up and a cherry picker will be needed!!

If they were sons, with the expense of getting up there it may be worth changing the ignitor as well as the lamp, depending how many there are

You are right about changing ignitors at the same time. We used to do this on highmast repairs at the last place i worked,Most of the lanterns had the original GEC gear in them from the 60s 400-watt SON-T lamps. We used the Phillips SN58s and the Parmar ignitors.

I've seen you can now get electronic control gear for discharge lamps.

Not used them personally, but might be something for you to look into if it is not the lamps which have failed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back