Patio lighting

dhm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we've bought a house that has a 20mtr long garden with a patio and lighting. It would appear that 'jack the lad' has just connected these 4 lights to the socket ring main in the lounge, through the wall. We would like to 'keep' the lighting but what would be the correct way of connecting these (I think the cabling goes under the lawn don't know how deep tho'!) Thanks.

Sponsored Links
first what kinda cable have they used? SWA are normal pvc cable? sometimes it is ok to come off a socket to a light but not to sure about 4!

a fused connection unit should be used to protect the cable to the lights
if there is no rcd protection for the ring at the CU then ideally you should add it there but failing that a rcd fcu is an option

the cable should be armoured cable and should be burried at a depth that keeps it out of the way of normal digging (450mm is reccomended for private land) additionally there should be marker tape above it although i admit i didn't bother with that here at my own house

if its not armoured cable then it definately needs to be replaced

it its armoured cable but burried a bit shallow its not really a problem as long as you know it is there

sparky_uk04 you really worry me on the one hand you make out you are doing quite significant work for your boss on the other hand you don't seem to be taking learning about electrics very seriously at all

well i was seein if they used swa to make sure i know you have to use that. and you can come off a socket to a light

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys! i lifted one of the slabs by the patio door to find the cable there! looks like your plain ol' 1-1.5 t/e so ripped it all out! It was only buried about 6" and ran down the middle of the lawn ( a disaster waiting to happen!) Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back