5mm gap under new french doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had some french doors fitted, and there is a 5-8mm gap under the door. Its really drafty!

How should i seal the gap? cement? foam? Odvously the frame should be supported underneath becuase people walk on the frame to get in/out etc. so i packed a little slate under the frame every 30cm.

I dont want the fitters to come back, i'll sort this myself.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a right bodge job to me. The cill is normally sat directly onto the DPC using a thick bed of low modulus silicone frame sealant but 8mm is rather a large gap for that! Personally, I would take the frame out again & get it fitted properly using a full width packer of some sort or on a bed of mortar; I assume the DPC is still intact. I also assume you realise that the French doors you’ve had fitted should have either a FENSA certificate or a Building Regulation compliance certificate from your LABC!

OK, so i should press in motar into the gap, then after its dried, use silicone to seal it again.

The FENSA certs will be done at a later date when i get the council regs guys round to check all the other work, lintels etc...

The DPC is still fine.

As I said, I would take the frame out again & do it properly; the ‘council regs. guys’ don't issue FENSA certificates or give warranties, they will only issue a compliance certificate (assuming they consider it compliant!) for which there will be a fee.

Sponsored Links
As I said, I would take the frame out again & do it properly; the ‘council regs. guys’ don't issue FENSA certificates or give warranties, they will only issue a compliance certificate (assuming they consider it compliant!) for which there will be a fee.

Morter and silcone will be fine

i like jobs to be 'done right' but if i'm being honest in this case i would properly pack the gap with a material that won't crack or compact if pressure from above is put on it (folk standing on frame) then i'd silicon seal with exterior silicon or fit beading strip same colour as frame then seal around that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back