Double glazed windows - inside misting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had all windows double glazed(Diamond Leaded) when we moved in nearly 10 years ago. A couple of weeks ago we noticed that the Bedroom(Bay Window) had started to mist up slightly inside the unit. Came home this afternoon and noticed some windows in the Porch had this misting inside the Glazed Units also.
Is this common for this to happen?
Is 10 years the life of Double Glazed Units?

Cheers for any help and information.

Sponsored Links
Hi...........I live in a house with over 30 windows of various sizes all of which were double glazed probably 12 years ago (before we moved in). Over the past couple of years we have had to replace no fewer than 12 of the glazed units and another half dozen have broken down since then.
The fact of the matter is that they can break down after 10years or so and you will find a number of them will do so at the same time.

We had all windows double glazed(Diamond Leaded) when we moved in nearly 10 years ago. Is 10 years the life of Double Glazed Units?

Before the new regs came in forcing us all to have double-glazed windows whether we want them or not, double-glazing was always sold on its ability to save money on heating bills. The truth is that when you factor in the cost of the windows, it's a different story. Decent wooden single-glazed windows can last indefinitely. I just sold a house built in 1860, still with its original oak frames.

We had all windows double glazed(Diamond Leaded) when we moved in nearly 10 years ago. Is 10 years the life of Double Glazed Units?

Before the new regs came in forcing us all to have double-glazed windows whether we want them or not, double-glazing was always sold on its ability to save money on heating bills. The truth is that when you factor in the cost of the windows, it's a different story. Decent wooden single-glazed windows can last indefinitely. I just sold a house built in 1860, still with its original oak frames.

Does this mean you cannot replace DG units with a single sheet of glass in hardwood window frames? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
Daf, I would love to be proved wrong but as I understand it, since April 2002 all replacement glazing comes within the control of the Building Regulations. From this date, anyone who installs replacement window frames or even glazed doors must comply with the strict thermal and safety performance standards as set by the Building Regulations. Single-glazed windows do not meet these standards.

The exception is if you're doing work to a listed building in which double-glazing would interfere with the historical character of the place. As I said, I would love to be proved wrong because I hate double-glazing.

Just to let you all know that we are still waiting for these windows to be sorted. Phoned and spoke to the DG Company many, many times and to the manufacturer (Pilkington) once but seem to constantly have promises from these people. :(

Daf, I would love to be proved wrong but as I understand it, since April 2002 all replacement glazing comes within the control of the Building Regulations. From this date, anyone who installs replacement window frames or even glazed doors must comply with the strict thermal and safety performance standards as set by the Building Regulations. Single-glazed windows do not meet these standards.

The exception is if you're doing work to a listed building in which double-glazing would interfere with the historical character of the place. As I said, I would love to be proved wrong because I hate double-glazing.
Maintenance like for like is OK but if you replace the frame, it's classed as replacement &, subject to historic & listed status, it has to comply with those BR's.

Just to let you all know that we are still waiting for these windows to be sorted. Phoned and spoke to the DG Company many, many times and to the manufacturer (Pilkington) once but seem to constantly have promises from these people. :(
Good luck with it ;)

Yes 10 years is about the life of a unit. Todays units may last longer, but its more common for units to fail after around 10 years than not.

Does anyone know the specific reason for this - is it the pressure of the air inside the unit, as I can't think of anything else which could cause the seal to go?

Yes 10 years is about the life of a unit. Todays units may last longer, but its more common for units to fail after around 10 years than not.

Does anyone know the specific reason for this - is it the pressure of the air inside the unit, as I can't think of anything else which could cause the seal to go?
It's all carefully & cleverly designed to keep the industry self-perpetuating, usually the month after your warranty expires! :cry:

How long was the guarantee for?? If you are still within it forget the phone calls....send em a letter, give them 7days then send another. If no reply hit them with a Small claims notice, it won't cost you other than in time.
I think you are wasting your time though with Pilkington's as presumably the glass is ok it being the glazed units which are faulty.

Most of my windows have popped (misty). They are in a double glazing frame, sat in a wooden frame, will it be cheaper to try and get the glass replaced then replace the whole unit???

I have some guys coming to give a quote for new units, so want to make sure they don't try and sell the more expensive option!

Thanks!

Most of my windows have popped (misty). They are in a double glazing frame, sat in a wooden frame, will it be cheaper to try and get the glass replaced then replace the whole unit???

I have some guys coming to give a quote for new units, so want to make sure they don't try and sell the more expensive option!

Thanks!
Remember it’s always best to start your own thread rather than hijack another or resurrect one that’s time expired; you will usually get a better response!

There have been a couple of very recent threads about replacing blown sealed glass units but how successful this is rather depends on the overall condition of the windows & the thermal efficiency of the units themselves; basically how old they are! Replacing the glass unit will always be cheaper than replacing the window but I can imagine that almost all DG companies wouldn't be interested in doing this, they will almost always want to sell you new windows or artificiall inflate the cost of the glass units to put you off; supplying/fitting new windows is, after all, how they make a living! What you need is to use an old fashioned glazier if you can find one or buy the glass units yourself & DIY; this is permitted under Building Regulations as it comes under repairs. Don’t go down the route of de-misting if it’s offered, it not worth it & will almost certainly be only a temporary fix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back