Apprentice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my names Todd I'm 18, from Nottingham and I am currently trying to get a company to take on as an apprentice. I have been trying since the new year, up to yet I've sent just under 60 letters out to various plumbers and building services company's. I have also sent out around 40 text messages and around 50 emails. And still only a hand full of replies. I already have an OCN in plumbing and I have an NVQ level 2 course to start in September 2008. Why does nobody seem to be interested and does anyone no a company planning to take on Please help! Thanks Todd.

Sponsored Links
Hi Todd; Just curious whats a ONC? Your probably not getting many replies because you don't have any 'real' formal qualifications or any experience. Most self employed plumbing companies don't get any help from the govenment towards taking on an apprentice or trainee.

Unless your very good at what you can offer.....why should anyone want you!

Sorry but that is the reality of it all; I have an appentice plumber working with me [ in fact a lady] who is now in her first year of an NVQ2, and is getting on very well.

I can only say that you will have to keep trying and someone will hopefully take you on in the end...

Good luck mate

You would do a lot better to get of your ass and go see them face to face.

Sponsored Links
In order of effectiveness:

Text Message: minus 100
email: Nil
letter: 1
Phone call: 5
Face to face (if you can get then to agree to meet you by phoning in advance): 100

Prepare a 20 second pitch about yourself which will make them think that you are what they need. Practice saying this to anyone who will listen. Make sure you understand what a potential employer is looking for.

Learn it (don't write it as a script) and have a written note of all the points that you want to make when you get to talk to someone, and questions you will be asked, including what you have done in the past and want to do in future, in a notebook. Carry this notebook everywhere with you. One day your uncle (or someone) may say to you in a pub or outside the church :eek: or working mens club :eek: "Meet my friend Bill, he has a small firm. Didn't you say you were looking for experience?"

Tell all your relations and older friends (i.e. people who have been working for a living for some years) what you are looking for and ask if they can suggest anything. This is better than asking if they can give you a job. Write down in your notebook who you spoke to, when, and what they said. Give them your phone no (written down with your name and "Plumbing Work") and try to get them to put it in their wallet if there is a chance they may get an idea. You will be surprised at the contacts people have. Even your mum will have a friend whose husband is a plumber.

If you know anyone who is any building trade he will know someone. Involve your friend's parents. Tell them what you've done and what you're looking for. It will be good practice for you to speak to older people sensibly and with respect. people like to help, but only if they think you are a good candidate. otherwise they won't want to spoil their reputation.

If anyone gives you a lead, thank them, write it down, and phone within 2 days. If they find out you didn't, they won't bother trying to help again. When you phone a lead, always introduce yourself by saying "Bill Bloggins suggested I call you, he's my uncle and I believe you know him through the pigeon-fanciers' club (or whatever) and they will be more inclined to listen to you. Bill will be asking them, next time they speak, if you called and what he thought of you. The lead will also be asking Bill what he thinks of your character (skills can be learned, character can't).

Have several copies of your CV in clean envelopes and carry them with you. Don't give them to your contacts, only to people you've spoken to and have shown an interest as potential employers. The envelope will help keep it clean and smart.

If you look scruffy, lazy, dim, dishonest, criminal, doped, drunk, hungover or unpunctual, you haven't got a hope.

Don't dress like a student. Look like what you want to become. It might involve a haircut. Remove visible body-jewelry, cover tattoos.

Your college should have been helping you find placements. Ask how they can help or advise you.

p.s. one of the reasons people will not seem interested will be that they might have one vacancy per year, and they get two thousand people asking. You have to make then think you are better than most of the others. But be aware that most of the others will have got one or more of the "no hope" characteristics, so it will be easy for you to beat them if you put your mind to it.

Great advice JohnD

It's great that in forums such as this, there are people like you who'll go to such an effort to help a complete stranger.

Todd, there are plenty of companies in Notts that might have oppertunities but you have to chase them down. Some being PWP, FJ Skerretts, Frank Webbs, City Homes, have you tried any off them.

What college are you at, your tutours normally know some of the firms that might help. Our old tutour still rings every year after christmas asking if theres any chance.

hey Todd, hope you get something soon,

I was in the same position as you.

At the time i was 27 and had worked all of my working life in banking and insurance, i knew it wasn't right for me but i couldnt get out of it!

My CV unfortunaly had zero experience with regards plumbing howerver i did make sure that i mentioned plenty of DIY and made sure the CV itself was presented in a professional way.

i sent a cover letter to almost every plumber in the county.......

I am currently seeking a well respected Pluming and Heating company, who would be willing to employ an adult Apprentice.

I am 27 years of age and have been working in Finance and Insurance for six years. I have wanted to peruse an apprenticeship for some time but was not in a position financially.

I feel that at my age, if I do not do this now, I will never get another chance.

Although I do not have any formal plumbing qualifications, Through DIY I have worked with Heating / Sewage / Water systems:

I have correctly used most power and hand tools, I also have experience of the preparation and fitting of copper pipe.

Academically I feel confident I would meet all your expectations at both college, and on the job training.

I am well presented and have excellent customer services experience, including enquiries and dealing with customer complaints.

I will bring a mature attitude to work, and I have the motivation and determination to succeed. With the right training and support I will be an asset to your company.

Over my full career I have maintained excellent time keeping and almost no absence due to sickness. I also hold a full clean driving licence.

I can be contact on the above telephone numbers, the postal address and also email to EMAIL ADDRESS Thank you for your time.

fortunately this particular plumber was looking for somebody to take on, so for that i feel i was lucky.

as Moliver has mentioned actually speaking to sombody face to face is the best option as plumbers receive letters like this all the time.

A long time ago a plumber i knew told me to contact companys at the time people leave school (summer time) - this is an idea however there will probably be another 100 guys who send one at this time. whould you want to read through that many ? NO! the best time in my opinion is to send is towards the end of the year;
Your prospective employer will not be loosing you to college once every 3 weeks (as you won't start till the following june) - trust me this is a big plus for him, and also you (the experience will do you well at college etc)

In order of effectiveness:

If you look scruffy, lazy, dim, dishonest, criminal, doped, drunk, hungover or unpunctual, you haven't got a hope.

Don't dress like a student. Look like what you want to become. It might involve a haircut. Remove visible body-jewelry, cover tattoos.

.[/i]

bloody hell it's like being back in the army.

work for yourself and sod the rest. then you have no one to answer to.

except of course your customers, some of who will be reluctant to employ someone who looks drunk, doped, dishonest etc if they can get someone who looks more reliable.

the reason m8t why you cant get an apprentice job, is there is to many 6 week crash course bodgers out there.

start with some small plumbing jobs for family, friends. then when you feel you are confident try going into your local merchants and see if they have any jobs going or know anyone who may employ you.

Just like to say thanks to everyone that has replied I have tried most of the tips. Although Ive still not got anything yet I have found out the company's that are taking on. CHEERS :D

I'd agree with the working for friends/relatives. Take pictures, write concise notes. Get comments and names and addresses. You wont be quick, so try to achieve, and have acknowledged, things like:
Careful
thought it through
worked it out
just what I wanted
cleaned up afterwards
professional job
would use him again
etc etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back