HELP!!! Door stuck shut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have a UPVc door that is stuck shut - not locked, just stuck! Very awkward as I can't get out into the back garden etc.....now - do I
call a locksmith? or do I call someone who repairs UPVc doors/windows and if so what type of company do I look for in yellow pages - our local UPVc window supplier only supplies and fits new and doesn't repair .... Am fed up to the back teeth since door is still under guarantee - but surprise, surprise the company that installed it has been dissolved, opened up under slightly different name and won't honour guarantee....

TIA

L

Sponsored Links
Well, if it's not locked I don't think calling a locksmith will help. When you say stuck, is it impossible to open, or just very difficult. Was the guarantee FENSA backed ??

it is impossible to open - door handle moves up and down OK...but it just won't open - the door opens outwards and pushing it has no effect at all it's just stuck fast!
The 10 year guarantee was backed by the Guarantee Guild - who's phone number is unobtainable! I've checked companies house and they are still registered there but the contact address is not where they are working from so I'm having trouble tracing them - this does not fill me fuill if optimism that they will be any good if/when I locate their current whereabouts.

When you move the handle, can you hear the locking mechanism (possibly shoot bolts) moving?

Sponsored Links
Yes I can - all sounds as normal....only thing different is the door not opening outwards

Ok, PVCu (uPVC whatever!) can get a bit stuck due to expansion. (There is a post about this somewhere else)

1) Have you pulled the handle right down, as far as it will go, some doors are designed so if you pull the handle down, then this releases the latch, but doesn't release the bolts. This is the reverse to when you close the door, that you have to lift the handle to engage the bolts.

2) I know you've said it's impoossible to open, if you're confident that the locking mechanism has been disengaged, then what effect does "putting your shoulder to it" have

3) Did the door open before, if so, what, if anything has changed?

I'd be chasing after the guarantee providers.. send a letter to their registered address - its legally binding.

But I'd also want to understand *why* its shut. You don't mention if it's part of a conservatory, a replacement door etc.
Was the old frame replaced too ? Its possible that it was providing some support to the wall above, and having removed it, it has settled, distorting your new door.
Can you see any cracks or signs of movement (eg cracked pointing) on the wall outside ?

Door is part of a small conservatory - which is all UPVc erected on brick and concrete base - everything looks sound, no cracks or movement visible.

Is this the address you had for the Guarantee Guild?

The Guarantee Guild Ltd
Guild House,
1 Galena Road,
London,
W6 0LT
Tel: 02085631003

While you are nosing around the door, have a look at the hinges, certainly, two of mine were able to be dismantled and then your next action would be to carefully, that is carefully, try to open the door at the hinge side. I do emphasize the carefully bit as it may be that some of the locking pieces have disconnected and are actually holding your door shut, and if you tried to force it from here could split your frame.
Good luck.

On the subject of guarantees. My mate, a few months ago, bought a new, top of the range, mobile phone. The idiot then insisted to the salesman that he also wanted to have it insured. So he has been paying for insurance on the phone since day 1.

The other day, while walking home from the snooker hall, he got caught out in the most violent rain storm to have hit this area since noah. Once he got home, he found that his mobile phone (in his inside pocket), had become water logged. It has not worked since. After a solid day of irate phone calls, he is informed that the damage is not covered under waranty, and his insurance doesn't cover it either (since it wasn't caused by an accident!).

Why anyone would want to have insurance on any consumer product is beyond me. Whenever you attempt to make a claim, there is always some excuse. IMHO Insurance firms are probably the biggest, bloodsucking parasites on this planet :evil:

Thanks for all the help and advice - problem now solved. Called a locksmith who got the door open and found that a small screw in the catch must have been working loose, then, when it was completely loose, as the door closed, the screw fell out, letting the cath fall sidewaysinto the frame and thereby jamming the door.......easy when you know the answer huh!

Anyway - nice to have 'met' you all....and lovely to be able to exit via the door again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back