Replacing an exterior door with an interior one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've searched but cannot find an answer to this, so I hope someone could advise please.

There is an external door in my kitchen which used to lead directly outside, however years ago the side area was roofed over to create a utility room and an exterior door from here created to the garden.

I would like to replace the kitchen external door with an internal one to match the others in the house, but I've been told I am not allowed to put an interior door in place of an exterior one.

Does anyone know if this is true please, because the kitchen door no longer goes outside it opens into a utility room with its own exterior door.

Also I've read about needing building regulations approval for new windows and doors, -I'm putting in a new window in a bedroom and a new exterior door on the utility room, but I'm not clear what specification they need to be. Does anyone know where to find this info please? Or if you really need to get this approval.

Many, many thanks in advance.

Amanda

Sponsored Links
is the utility room extension building regulations compliant?

do you have a completion certificate.

Thanks for your reply.

It was built over 25 years ago before I owned it so could not say if it meets regs. I don't have any paperwork.

thanks again
Amanda

Regulation wise, the answer is no. At 25 years old, the lean too won’t comply with current B regs. & if you replace the exterior door with an interior one it will lose it’s current temporary building status; it will then have to comply with Building regs. Lots of people do it though but you should consider that it will make the kitchen that much colder due to poorer insulation; the very reason why B regs won’t allow it!

Replacement windows & doors are notifyable; both the windows/doors & the installation must comply with current regs. In my view the simplest way for most people to achieve this is to use a FENSA registered installer; you can DIY but you should notify the council & have them inspected in order to get a certificate of compliance (fee involved) which you will need when you come to sell.

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much Richard.

I'll check the installer before I go ahead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back