outer cable on Electric underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing a total makeover in our bathroom, I wish my wife would stop watch those stupid tv programs :( anyway i am putting down some electric underfloor heating the make is vysal i have set everything up in preperation for laying the floor tiles but im a bit confused as i have 2 wires coming from the heating mat which go to the thermostat but there is a outer steel covering which i would have thought was an earth but the installation manual does not mention connecting this to any earth either at the thermostat or from the power sourse, Anyone have any ideas.

Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
It is the earth and must be connected to the protective earth of the supply circuit.

Also, here's a check list of some other stuff:
  • Is the circuit protected by an RCD?
    Is the supplementary equipotential bonding in the bathroom been done?
    Have you notified the Local Authority BEFORE starting work as all electrical work in bathrooms is notifiable?

Have you also installed the floor sensor? And used the cold tails to connect the heat mat to the 'stat?

Also, is the 'stat suitable for the zone which you are placing it in?

TTC's comments also apply. You are breaking the law, and risking lives, and your home insurance if you dont notify building control and let their inspector see what you've done. There's normally 2 inspections - first fix and second fix. They will want to see the heat mat BEFORE you tile.

darkmagi said:
Anyone have any ideas.
1. Follow the manufacturer's installation instructions to the letter.
2. Notify your LABC (as others have pointed out).
3. Don't put the mat underneath the area where the WC pan will sit.

Sponsored Links
Darkmaji,

you are quite right, my mate recently fittted the same type of underfloor heating cable, and there is absolutely no mention of earthing in the badly punctuated manual.

It was cheap, but I was surprised, it was only a chance conversation about it that resulted in me pointing out that it absolutely must be earthed - otherwise he wouldn't have bothered/known to do it.

I must have read the manual three times, there really is no mention of earthing in there at all.

Terrible really, although of course anyone who knows about electrics would question the lack of earthing...

No harm done in my mates case, and hopefully yours, but I wonder how many other underfloor heating installations aren't eathed properly as a result - couple that with no RCD and maybe a bit of overzealous adhesive application with a notched trowel and you've got a very 'HOT' bathroom floor.

Scary stuff.
-Dan

Thanks for all the replys.

STEVE, I have installed the floor sensor i have run it in the same direction as the heat wires in the middle of them within the 10mm duct supplied,I have installed the stat outside the bathroom in the hall as instructed, I have not contacted the local authority but i will now i know, I have already fitted the underfloor heating & tiled on top of it so if they are not happy i will just disconnect the heating & make do with the towel radiator in the bathroom, I wished i could go back a few years when you could do a bit of DIY in your house without having to have half a dozen different people informed that you had changed a light bulb.

SOFTUS, I have installed all the units & shower cabinet before i fitted the flooring & i left a space next to the walls & units as directed in the instructions.

TOASTY, Im glad im not the only one who thought the manual was written badly, Although im not a electrician i do have a little knowledge infact just enough to know that i was not going to put a live feed anywere near the stat before i put a question on this site. :D

Thanks again for all the advice.......... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back