earthing question

M

Murrreid

I am new on a job, replacing kitchens. The water pipes and sink needed earthing. THere was no earth back to the board, however there usually is. So the guy that I was working with told me to earth them, and leave the cable dangling behind the cupboard panel. Now to me this is just pure cowboy.

So I said I'd do it tomorrow when he isn't there. So can I take the earthing, and tap it into the earth on a socket. I can't get an earth to the board as the flooring is now down.

Jeeze, I don't wanna leave it hanging there, I'd rather do it the right way !

:?:

Sponsored Links
Who told you that the sink needed bonding?
Is there no main equipotential bonding to the consumers side of the main water tap? Gas?

You mention doing it the right way and taking an earth from a socket?

Their is no requirement to earth a normal kitchen sink. There is no requirement to carry out supplementary bonding in a kitchen. The water pipe should be main equipotentially bonded where it enters the premises, this connects to the Main Earthing Terminal. To install the wire and throw it behind a cupboard to make out the job has been done is dangerous, it may also be looked upon as fraud.

yes it has been dones where the pipes enter the house. Doesn't it need done at the water pipes at a sink also ?

Sponsored Links
So to sum up, it needs done where the pipes enter the property. However I have done this in the past, but have also bonded the pipes under the sink & bath etc. The sink doesn't need bonded. It is a full metal sink.

You do not need to supplementary bond kitchen pipes / sinks at all.

Baths / bathrooms is an entirely different, and more complicated issue.

The gas / water / oil etc pipes should be main bonded within 600mm of their entry to the property.

So no supplementary bonding at sinks in kitchens. Right.

So why have I always been shown that this is to be done.

P.S. I am an apprentice electrician and I sat the FICA last week. Still getting to grips with stuff though!

So why have I always been shown that this is to be done.

You must have always worked with old electricians who are not upto date with current regulations.

It was a requirement in the 15th edition of BS7671, but these were replaced by the 16th edition in 1992, which removed the need to supplementary bond a kitchen.

Ideal, thanks for clearing that up. I'll be sure to pass that info on to the old school.

Is it different in a bathroom ?

Ideal, thanks for clearing that up. I'll be sure to pass that info on to the old school.

Is it different in a bathroom ?

16th edition requires sup. bonding in a bathroom, 17th relaxes that if certain criteria are met

Just looking at my OSG...

There is no specific requirement in BS 7671 to supplementary bond the following.

Kitchen pipes, sinks, or draining-boards,

Metal furniture in kitchens,

Metal pipes and wash hand basins in domestic locations other than bathrooms.

Now you know what to buy the old timers this Christmas ;)

I can't guarentee what you'll receive in return though :LOL: :eek:

It was a requirement in the 15th edition of BS7671, but these were replaced by the 16th edition in 1992, which removed the need to supplementary bond a kitchen.

Actually babe , it only became BS 7671 in the 1992 16th Edition, prior to that it was not BS but purely IEE Wiring Regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back