Leaking solder joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently fitted a rad and needed to solder the pipes due to limited space. I used pre-soldered (yorkshire?) fittings, a blow torch, flux and a heat mat (as advised). All of the joints seem bar one seem fine. The one that isn't good it a tiny leak - I only noticed it 4 days later after the system had been refilled.

How do I fix the (barely leaking) elbow joint? Do I have to drain the system? :(

Sponsored Links
HI

to make a good soldered joint pipes have to be dry
if water continue flowing then use compression fitting

Sponsored Links
You need to get it completely dry to solder it successfully.

Some people use an Aquavac or other dodges after draining.

If you play your torch over the pipe before fitting the new elbow, and you hear boiling and see steam, it isn't dry enough.

You might find it easier to use a a compresssion fitting if you can't get it dependably dry.

thanks for the replies.
there's not enough room for a compression joint :(
it's just one end of the elbow, if it's pretty dry and fluxed, will the solder take do you think?

Might take but I would redo the whole joint to be sure.

Flux type is important and I rarely have got a problem using Laco flux. :D

Cos it's amateur, want a professional finish, employ a professional angle on the job. :!:

But he didn't say he wanted a professional finish, he said he wanted a joint not to leak....exactly the situation leak sealer is intended for. Tools for the job and all that.

thanks for the replies.
there's not enough room for a compression joint :(
it's just one end of the elbow, if it's pretty dry and fluxed, will the solder take do you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back