any one used a freeze master?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just brought the freeze master and havent used one before any one no the best way to tell when the water is frozen so i can cut with out worrying about water coming out? thanks

Sponsored Links
Do it for the time specified. Look for frost on the outside of pipe. Clench your arse cheeks and cut. Keep some speedfit s/ends in your pocket. Time will build experience. Large dia pipes take a loooong time.

thanks and when you have done ypur work how long till the ice plug melts so you can check fro leaks? and can you speed this process up?

about ten to fifteen minutes on 15 mm . speed it up? heat it gently with that big flamey thing you use for soldering ;)

Sponsored Links
It is OK when it works.

Mine had to go back to the factory. Came back. Worked for a short time to fail again. Now it is just an expensive lump of cr*p occupying floor space.

Do people really use freeze kits this much. I would have thought carrying a few disposable ones and just sticking it on the bill would be better?

yes they are a very good piece of kit if you have the work for it, but they need re-gassing every so often (quite expensive)

Don't freeze toooo close to the work area as the pipe expands making getting fitting on a pig.

Don't have the freezer fan blowing on the work as it will prolong the freezing time.

Don't try to freeze moving water.

Allow 50% longer than it says on the can.

Before you cut the pipe drill a small hole that you can put an self tapping screw in if its' not frozen.

Leave the machine connected till you have finished.

Don't solder toooooo close to the ice plug :LOL:

Finally remember if working on an two pipe circuit you have to freeze both sides of any cut or both pipes. :LOL:

Finally remember if working on an two pipe circuit you have to freeze both sides of any cut or both pipes. :LOL:

I think as the machine has two heads only the thickest plumber would forget that!

I found mine very useful until it was stolen.

It depends on the kind of work you do. There are only a very few times a year that I miss it and there is almost always another way to do the job.

I used to add £10 to each job to help pay for the machine and think that I was saving my time on each job. ( I dont charge by the hour. )

Now I charge a bit extra for the extra time to drain etc. without it.

Whilst it may seem to save time the time is wasted as it cools down the pipes.

About the only main use is for freezing incoming mains water to change stopcocks. Even so it can crack open lead pipes!

Tony

Tony

Tony

Ours has always been broken. It has been back to the factory more times than I can say. Very disappointing.

For eg a large house with several trv's to change, we hire one. About £45 with 110v transformer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back