5 Detainer lock ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have several Chubb mortice locks on my external doors.
Most are 5 lever types and have all been fitted out so I can use the same key on all of them.
I have come across a 5 detainer chubb lock and the key is longer front to back than the normal 5 lever key.

What is the advantage of a detainer over a lever lock?

Sponsored Links
much more expensive :LOL:

more secure and more difficult to pick, usual methods do not work

easier to master-key. if you look at the detainers you will see they each have a little slot in them.

If one of the detainers had two slots, it could be operated by two different keys, which were identica,l except that one would use the higher slot, and one the lower.

If each of the two keyholders had another lock, which only had one slot in that detainer, they could both have a key which would open their own lock, and the shared one, but not each others.

Detainer locks can have quite complex suiting arrangements, where everyone's key opens the front door and their own door, some of the people in one department can open any door in their own department but not in anyone else's, some can open certain doors in their own department but not all, some can open any door in any department.

the same design is used in Butters system locks which are a less expensive range that was (might still be) made by Union, and was popular in large offices.

p.s it is also more difficult to copy keys, as they have to be very precise. I have had cases where a copy key would not work and had to be returned to the service centre with the lock to be made a more precise fit.

In my own house i too Chubb lever locks on the secondary exteral doors, and a Chubb derainer on the final Exit door.

OOI, the bolt size on British Standard locks (the lever ones) was increased a few years ago, it is now stronger, and more dificult to lever the door and frame apart enough to open it. However the detainer locks still have the old size :( I do not know how this might affect an insurance claim if you fitted them from new. usually you are not required to upgrade your existing locks when the standard is revised.

Cheers ...
I think I might have that on on my new front door
:D

...but see the last para I just added

Sponsored Links
The bolt sticks out of this one by about an inch...

:eek: that's great

Is it more or less than 20mm?

I'm guessing a 3G110

I think its a 3G110PB as it has a handle hole..........
Its definitely a meaty looking beast..

3K70

It has a brass bolt, and a separate latch, right?

not a large stainless latch?

Very nice lock

If it is old you can give it a clean but they last a long time.

If it was fitted to the house when you bought it, best to change the detainers - you can often pick up a set of detainers and keys on Fleabay for a few pounds.

OOI, can you measure the bolt throw?

A chubb lock with an "e" suffix will be compliant with the latest standard (20mm bolt). Not all insurance companies require the latest standard, but it's worth checking with them before you start any work, and get any advice in writing - if possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back