Pinholing in Hot Water Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had my boiler serviced and the engineer noticed that there was evidence of pinholing in my lagged hot water tank. As it had self-sealed (temporarily), he advised that I should place a margarine lid underneath, keep an eye on it and let him know if I noticed any leaks. I know I should have asked him this, but how long will it be before it needs replacing?

Thanks

Geoff

Sponsored Links
hmm, unless you want a swimming pool in your home id make plans to change it now.

Can you post a pic of the cylinder and the supposed pinhole.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies lads. Here are your results:-

doitall (1st post) 8/10
nickso 9/10
doitall (2nd post) 8/10
chrisr 10/10

chris wins - well done!

damn, i was close that time. chris did deserve to win though :LOL:

One has to ask what the engineer is doing in the airing cupboard taking the lagging off.

He was there to service the boiler, or did you have a leak on the cylinder, and asked for an opinion.

Its called walking the system DIA where you should inspect rads valves etc for any signs of leaks that could cause future problems and if cylinder is fitted on couple of wood strips leaks on bottom seam would be found by doing this or if lagging had come away..

Pretty standard thing to do in dometic properties i am surprised you asked this

One has to ask what the engineer is doing in the airing cupboard taking the lagging off.

He was there to service the boiler, or did you have a leak on the cylinder, and asked for an opinion.

So what if the punter didnt ask DIA?

The chap gave a good service

Its called walking the system DIA where you should inspect rads valves etc for any signs of leaks that could cause future problems and if cylinder is fitted on couple of wood strips leaks on bottom seam would be found by doing this or if lagging had come away..

Pretty standard thing to do in dometic properties i am surprised you asked this

This is exactly what happened. The heating engineer said it was part of the normal service to inspect for leaks. He noticed right at the bottom of the tank (without removing the lagging) a small white furry substance which he said was evidence of pinholing. He didn't sound unduly alarmed (as the earlier posters appeared), and told me just to keep an eye on it. I now have other work in need of doing and wondered if it was worth getting this replaced/repaired at the same time. From replies, I think it would be wise to do so. Thanks

Geoff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back