Barn type doors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to make a traditional type set of garage doors in timber softwood then stain. I have an ok idea of the framing. I was going to use vertical boards over the frame. Would it be ok to butt these together or would they be better rebated and then glued and nailed?. Boards would be 125mmx 15.

Would flooring be suitable or look crap? The traditional look has a slight chamfer on the edges which show nicely on the face when finished. Was this a special T&G timber that was used for this? Any hints or other ways to go about it appreciated. I will use T hinges and doors will be 6 ft 6" x4ft each.

Alex

Sponsored Links
There will be various patterns of T&G boarding available from a good timber merchants, I know the type you mean but can't think of the name. As for appearance T&G is good as you can secret nail it and it forms a stiffer sheet over the unsupported areas of the frame, where as butted boards will have obvious fixings and flex between themselves.

On your frame I'm presuming you will have diagonals to stiffen it up and stop the door from drooping in the middle. These diagonals should always run in a upward direction. i.e. low point to the hinge edge high point to the middle and top. Hope that makes sense.

HTH

Alan

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys I`ll search that board out . There are a few older houses here with the doors I want. I will get a look at top sections of these. Yes I was going to do the diagonals as you say alfie. I also know about nailing stuff and not telling anyone :LOL: ....

Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back