Electrics & AEG oven installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This is what I've done so far

There was a RCBO used for a shower that connected into the consumer unit. Note: it is not in the consumer, it is located by the side of it and attached into the consumer unit. The shower is no longer used as we have a new bathroom fitted. Therefore this has been wired into the kitchen.

A new 45amp cooker switch has been installed above the worktop. The wire from the RCBO is connected into the supply part of the switch.

4mm wire is connected to the load part of cooker switch and taken under the worktop to wire directly into the AEG oven.

(New oven housing unit has been built as well!)

Is this all correct so far???

My hurdle....how do I wire the 4mm cable into the oven??? I can't make head nor tails of it!!! the terminals on the back of the AEG 88714 oven has 3 big screws...what do I do...

all help appreciated

and have i done everything right so far???

Sponsored Links
Hi
This is what I've done so far
There was a RCBO used for a shower that connected into the consumer unit. Note: it is not in the consumer, it is located by the side of it and attached into the consumer unit. The shower is no longer used as we have a new bathroom fitted. Therefore this has been wired into the kitchen.
What size is the breaker?
What size is the cable from the RCBO to the cooker switch?
What route does it take?

A new 45amp cooker switch has been installed above the worktop. The wire from the RCBO is connected into the supply part of the switch.
OK, although some cookers can be inherently leaky and cause the RCD bit of your RCBO to nuisance trip.

4mm wire is connected to the load part of cooker switch and taken under the worktop to wire directly into the AEG oven.
What is the power consumption of the oven?

(New oven housing unit has been built as well!)
Jolly good

Is this all correct so far???
Possibly depending on your answer to the above questions.

My hurdle....how do I wire the 4mm cable into the oven??? I can't make head nor tails of it!!! the terminals on the back of the AEG 88714 oven has 3 big screws...what do I do...
Wire the load side of the cooker switch into a cooker connection unit like this

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GU4050.html

And then wire from the cooker connection unit to your new oven using suitably rated cable.

all help appreciated
You’re welcome. And now the bad news. This work is notifiable to your local Council, which is something you should have done before you started it if you intended to do it yourself.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

What size is the breaker?
What size is the cable from the RCBO to the cooker switch?
What route does it take?

it is a b40?? 32ma
6mm t&e
under floorboard to kitchen. approx 3m

OK, although some cookers can be inherently leaky and cause the RCD bit of your RCBO to nuisance trip.

anything you can do to prevent this?

What is the power consumption of the oven?

3kW

Is this needed? Can't I just wire from the 45amp cooker switch to the oven?
And then wire from the cooker connection unit to your new oven using suitably rated cable.

it's this bit that i don't know how to do...actually wiring the wire into the oven itself....it has 3 big screws..do i just strip the wires and screw the screw on top of the wire?

it is a b40?? 32ma
6mm t&e
under floorboard to kitchen. approx 3m
You have a 40 MCB which is over-rated for your purposes. If your cooker switch incorporates a 13amp socket outlet you could de-rate this to 32 Amps. If your cooker switch has no socket outlet your 3000W oven will run comfortably on a 16A MCB and I would de-rate accordingly.
6mm cable is fine for your installation.

although some cookers can be inherently leaky and cause the RCD bit of your RCBO to nuisance trip.

anything you can do to prevent this?
You might be lucky and have no problem with this – suck it and see.

Is this needed? Can't I just wire from the 45amp cooker switch to the oven?
That in my view is a bodge. A cooker connection unit allows for quick and safe removal of your oven for maintenance or replacement in the future if necessary.

it's this bit that i don't know how to do...actually wiring the wire into the oven itself....it has 3 big screws..do i just strip the wires and screw the screw on top of the wire?
Yes, use 6mm twin and earth.
Put green/yellow sleeving over the earth conductors.

Sponsored Links
Thanks stargazer

You have a 40 MCB which is over-rated for your purposes. If your cooker switch incorporates a 13amp socket outlet you could de-rate this to 32 Amps. If your cooker switch has no socket outlet your 3000W oven will run comfortably on a 16A MCB and I would de-rate accordingly.
6mm cable is fine for your installation.

I knew this!!! however, it says it's a rcbo b40, can i buy a 16a dp rcbo? i need one that doesn't actually go into the consumer unit, although connected standalone...if that makes sense...the current rcbo is a MK one with Live and 2 neutral ports on the top and a live for the supply from the CU at the bottom. it owuld help if i could find something the same.

That in my view is a bodge. A cooker connection unit allows for quick and safe removal of your oven for maintenance or replacement in the future if necessary..

shouldn't take to long to do

Yes, use 6mm twin and earth.
Put green/yellow sleeving over the earth conductors.

can I use 4mm instead of 6mm?
and would i be better off using insulated crimp terminals than just wrapping the wire around the screw?

thanks again...very helpful

What is this RCBO connected to in the consumer unit

It'll undoubly be just a standard RCBO in DIN enclosure, and thus readily available (though as you are serving a cooker and not a shower, there is no real need to RCD it as long as you have not got a socket on the cooker control switch, in which case you'd just need an MCB)

But I'm interested in how this as been connected to the existing CU, any chance of a pic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back