connecting to 1/2" Galvanised steel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The rising main in my house is galvanised? steel, 1/2" and I want to change and move the stopcock slightly, changing the pipework after the stopcock to 15mm copper.

Does anyone know what connectors to use for attaching to the steel (compression hopefully) then changing to 15mm after?

Also, will it be ok to cut the existing steel with a hacksaw as I assume pipesplice wont fit this?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Most people would only make a connection to a threaded piece of steel pipe.

Its not normal to try to use a compression fitting and there are none made for that specific purpose that I have ever heard of in the smaller sizes. Some of the rubber seal leadlocks MIGHT fit some steel but it would not be advisable.

Just use the existing screwed end!!!

Anything else at your own risk!

Tony

Thanks Agile, obvious question coming next!

As its old would the thread be a normal 1/2"? Is there a connector for the threaded end with a compression the other end as a coupling for the new 15mm?

The trade center mentioned asomething called a Johnson fitting? But cant find one on a Google search

Thanks Agile, obvious question coming next!

As its old would the thread be a normal 1/2"? Is there a connector for the threaded end with a compression the other end as a coupling for the new 15mm?

Standard 1/2" female to 15 mm compression adapter.

I think the British pipe threads were around since the turn of the last century. Probably even before Doitall was born ?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Assuming it is 1/2 BSP (pipe will be about 3/4 o/d) , and assuming it has a threaded end then something like:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/71308...rkshire-Kuterlite-Female-Coupling-612-15mm-x#

Will take you to 15mm copper. I would not want to continue in steel to a different stop tap location.

If you cut the threaded end off the steel you may have problems getting a secure connection unless you re-cut the thread on the end.

Any plumbers merchant will have something similar on the shelf.

Viking Johnson is what they were refering too.

u can get a fitting which u can cut the steel pipe anywhere and tighten up, its similar 2 a compression fittting only slightly bigger

Standard 1/2" female to 15 mm compression adapter.

I think the British pipe threads were around since the turn of the last century. Probably even before Doitall was born ?

Tony[/quote]

end of
tony is right

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back