trade paints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when using trade paints i always have to water it down as it is too thick, is this normal or am i being a bit thick lol :oops:

Sponsored Links
No, trade paints are generally thicker.

Remember though theres a difference between thickness and body..

If you turn a tin of retail dulux or crown upsdie down it often stays in the tin like a lump of jelly...people assume cos its like that it must be 'thick'...it isnt, its wahts called 'false body' to give the paint better brushability...stir it up and it turns very liquid.

Trade paint has more real body...more pigment..which tends to give it a dry feel...especially dulux and glidden

I have just painted my staircase natural calico same colour as before but this time I have used Dulux Trade Paint, using a roller. I did not water the paint down. Was this a mistake and should I be doing this as every time and if so how much should I water it down by, Thanks.

I have just painted my staircase natural calico same colour as before but this time I have used Dulux Trade Paint, using a roller. I did not water the paint down. Was this a mistake and should I be doing this as every time and if so how much should I water it down by, Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Assuming these are water based paints, you don't need to water them down. There will be no harm in it if you do, but it's not essential.

Thick paint solution sometimes makes thicker coats which do not dry easily and even makes the place unattractive. Use appropriate amount of water if paint is too thick. Always remember if you are using water in paint then add adequate amount in whole paint otherwise you will have a little bit difference in color shade.

you can quite safely water down good paint.

if its thick, it makes a little easier to apply, also goes a little further.

but due to the hassle, i never bother.

in my experience, dulux is good paint and covers well, as does brewers paint.

i have used wickes trade emlusion and was very inpressed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back