Repair to Foul Drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The drain got blocked because the ceramic glazed half-pipe in the inspection chamber has a piece cracked away from it. Is it o.k. to just bung a bit of pug into the cavity to make the run smooth again, or does the pipe section need replacing?
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I'd cut out the broken section neatly with a grinder and let in a new section, it's a relatively simple job and will prevent any re-occurrence. Make sure you redo the benching if it's damaged in the process.

If i read this correct you men the open section that is cast into the concrete base ?

If that is the case, you cant simply cut a section out without cutting all the cast base as well.

A picture would speak a thousand words

Sponsored Links
The whole thing sits on a concrete slab. The half-round pipe is set in mortar on top of that base. So you can cut the pipe out and replace it, no problem.

Alternatively, get some epoxy grout and make good to the bit that's missing. Make sure it's smoothly finished off, though, or the turds and bog paper might catch on it :)

Is it o.k. to just bung a bit of pug into the cavity to make the run smooth again

yes it is, and probably the best solution so far. not ideal but better than any other suggestions.

if the missing piece is relatively small then benching some strongish mortar will be ok. you can temporarily plug the drain to stop any foul water if necessary.

the fact that the whole area is damp/wet will only serve to help the cement stick.

the mortar can be trowelled really smooth once stiffened.

Thanks. I'm tending towards epoxy grout as the faster curing time would mean the drain being out of service for the shortest time.

Just don't do it after a night on the lash and a ruby, though...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back