Anyone used IKEA engineered flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have got to the stage where SWMBO wants a wood floor. Two to do, one in the study fairly soon and one in the conservatory (summer?)

I am nervous about laminate as I am not sure how it will wear (no doubt the small print on the warranties have lots of exclusions to cover the normal causes of damage) so would prefer engineered wood but the conservatory is about 25m2, study is only 11m2.

Anyone any experience of IKEA's engineered flooring as it seems to be a reasonable price? Those products I have bought from there have always been well made and durable.

Otherwise where are the best places to shop South Staffs / North Birmingham.

Sponsored Links
although limited in choice Ikea quality is Ikea quality.

Definitely go for wood-engineered in the conservatory, much stabler in areas where temperatures can change rapidly than solid wood.

Sponsored Links
Took the flooring back without opening a pack.

When I got the straight edge out there is a 3/8 drop in the floor (3/8 over the length of my 40" straight edge) and to level it (without chiselling the hight part off) the top of the compound would be level with the top of the carpet in the adjoining room with the flooring being higher still. It will get carpeted again

Their flooring does appear to be a chipboard base with a timber wearing layer.

I did the whole of the living areas and bedrooms in their oak engineered wood- think it's called LAKT.

When done it looked really good. The wood top layer is very thin, but they do offer a 10 year guarantee, so I guess they must be confident in it's durability. There was a slight problem with the top layer splintering occasionally when hitting the boards to click them together. If the block wasn't aligned properly then there was a risk of damaging the top layer, but there wasn't much waste- the ones that did splinter (talking about maybe a couple of mm) were easily used up in areas where boards needed cutting.

I sold the house and the flooring looked great to all and sundry- in fact it was a good selling point.

Whilst taking on board Woodyoulikes much greater experience, I would highly recommend it for the price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back