Is it possible to mix matt & vinyl paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a 10 litre tub of Dulux paint in one of the 'Hint' tones. When I got it home I found it was matt & not vinyl silk I'd been given. As this was mixed specially for me I felt unable to cope with the hassle of lugging it back to the shop to try to get them to change it, especially as I don't have a car & had to bring it home using a luggage trolley. I decided to go ahead & use it in a couple of the bedrooms I wanted to decorate anyway. I'm wondering if I could now mix it with some vinyl silk paint to do the hall & living room, to give it at least a slight sheen, as I'd prefer a bit of a sheen for these rooms rather than the flatness of matt.
I'd prefer the hall & living room to be a bit more intense in colour so was thinking of buying say a 2.5 litre of Dulux colour emulsion to mix it in with some of what still remains from my 10 litre tub to achieve my desired shade. Is this an ok idea? Any advice is welcome :confused:

Sponsored Links
If you already have a 10 litre matt emulsion another 2.5 litre emulsion will be the same. Or do you really mean you would get a 2.5 of vinyl silk?

The emulsion should mix ok because most vinyls are water based, However if the paint is non drip its going to take a lot of work to mix them. Also the finished result will be less silky because you are watering down the vinyl content with the matt emulsion.

The tricky stage is in the mixing and getting the right colour. When you add more white to your new colour the colour will go lighter than intense in colour. You will also be thining the paint and may require 2nd and third coats. The silk finish will be more or less matt than silk.

It maybe wise to get a vinyl silk 2.5 of the colour you are looking for than mess around mixing.

cattie said:
I bought a 10 litre tub of Dulux paint in one of the 'Hint' tones. When I got it home I found it was matt & not vinyl silk I'd been given.

i second dphomes, however its not the shops fault as you put it "id been given" the wrong paint you must have chose it and asked them to mix it for you, also as it is mixed just for you most shops will not take it back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back