Quick retaining wall footing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have dug out a flat area in my garden (gone down about 1 meter) and i have hit the hardest subsoil ever - clay and large stones, completely solid - Now i need to dig out the trench for the foundations for the retaining wall. Is it ok, in some areas to not go so deep with foundations, as the ground is literally solid as a rock? Or should i spend the time with a hammer drill (well those bigger hammer action drill machines, which i have) and chip away until i can get the depth? seems daft to remove solid stone to only fill it back up with concrete, but thought i'd ask :)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's clay and it's that hard, then it sounds like it's desiccated - got any trees nearby?

Nope no trees, shrubs not even a blade of grass :) What is desiccated anyway? :)

Sponsored Links
:LOL:

Dessicated in this sense means clays where the moisture content is lower than its plastic limit (well, you asked...!) and it's kin hard to excavate, as you've found out. If it hasn't been affected by vegetation, you should be ok down at that level.

Excellent, so can i build straight on top of this, or should i try and at least get and inch or two down (oo er missis) :)

i would try to dig down as much as possible just to give the footing some protection from the elements ie frost

Think he just might have finished it by now....hint, check the date ;)

LoL, thanks for the reply, but yes all dug out now :) - actually need to update my pics as the garden is 90% completed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back