Strange size door frame...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We're trying to replace an internal door in our house but the door frame is an odd size and we need a door of 197cm x 80cm.

I'd resigned myself to the fact that I would have to buy a bigger door and cut it down to size, and as it happens I've got access to a big garage full of tools to do the job well. However when I went to buy the door I was after (from B&Q) it quite clearly stated that you should only take off 5mm from each edge. I was having to take an inch off so I thought I'd better do a bit more research before I buy anything.

The door I was looking at was a solid pine door (or it looked it anyway), why wouldn't I be able to take that much off? Has anyone got any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, but they seem to be Trade only.

After spending seemingly all day on the phone I've finally found a company nearby who might be able to cut one to size for me. They did suggest the best thing might be to send a joiner round to actually 'fit it', but since the door will need about an inch taking off surely they'll need a machine to do that so probably best going in there with the dimensions and getting them to sort it out there.

Thanks, but they seem to be Trade only.

After spending seemingly all day on the phone I've finally found a company nearby who might be able to cut one to size for me. They did suggest the best thing might be to send a joiner round to actually 'fit it', but since the door will need about an inch taking off surely they'll need a machine to do that so probably best going in there with the dimensions and getting them to sort it out there.

I posted the link as they have lots of variations in sizes.

You need a 6ft 6ins by 2ft 8ins door this equates to metric size 1981 x 813 so you will not have to take too much off, about 6mm either side and about the same top and bottom.

I thought you had access to a super duper workshop. :confused:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back