One radiator is completely cold - replaced it and still cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my friends rads stopped working & is completely cold.

So far he's replaced it with a new rad with new standard valves, both valves are fully open and the systems been bled. When the bleed screw is opened water comes out of the rad. Its supplied with standard 15mm copper tails.

The next thing i can think of trying is turning all the other rads off to try and force water to that rad - is there anything else we should try?

Sponsored Links
It sound like you got air blockage in the pipe, try letting out some water from the system and then top it up again this may work. :cool:

if it had sludge in the pipe surely it wouldnt refill with water once the system had been refilled? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Looking at the FAQ the only things that i can see it could be are:
3) Air lock in heating pipe work (not radiators). Turn off all the other rads to force the flow into the cold one.
or
8 ) Sludge in radiator or pipe work or valve causing blockage which will need to be flushed out

One thing i'm unsure of from point 8 "make a fitting with a hose to attach to each valve" - any idea how i could attach a garden hose to a radiator valve - or any better ideas?

sounds like you have a blockage on one of the pipes..hence the rad fills up via the other, but water wont circulate due to the blockage.

Is is 15mm or might it be microbore...blocked manifold ?

is it a combi ? or open vented ?

does the rad in question have a drain off valve ?

you could resort to taking the rad off, attaching a hose to the rad valve (on the pipework) and opening up ( check where the water might go, ie open vented, or sealed....might need two hoses (entry and exit))

The next thing i can think of trying is turning all the other rads off to try and force water to that rad - is there anything else we should try?

pity you didnt try this first, if it works, it may have saved you a fair bit of time and money

Hi! I just dealt with a similar problem.
First removed radiator and checked water flow from both radiator valves.
Flushed out radiator while it was off.
Replaced radiator and found nothing had changed.
Did notice 1 rad cold, while another warm and another hot.
Then investigated further and found 'by pass' valve was fully open.
Adjusted this to about 1/3 open and all radiators then hot.
Problem solved? Not quite!
Few days later boiler kettling and found pump stopped.
Removed pump and found black crud had reduced the inlet and outlet down to about 3mm. (no wonder there was little flow)
New pump (and valves) fitted and all radiators now working fine.
Just needs a system clean and inhibitor.
:rolleyes:

where is the bypass valve normally located - near the central heating pump? Is this normally fitted on a vented system?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back