Problem with Ideal W2000 RS40 Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can help me?. We had a problem with our central heating a couple of months ago with cold rads downstairs & warm upstairs.
This was diagnosed by our plumber as a faulty pump which was replaced. We then had all rads hot. The boiler was then serviced about 4 weeks ago & all was still fine until last week. The radiators are all now cold or luke warm, although a couple of times they have come on hot. The plumber came out again on Friday & said there was a problem with the boiler. He told my wife he didn't think parts were available anymore for this boiler & it would probably need a new boiler. He said he would get back to us which he hasn't as yet.

I have looked on the web & it appears some parts are available , but i am not sure what will be required. The symptoms are as follows:

Boiler fires up & then will shut off after approx 5-10 mins ( i assume this is due to the temperature being reached in the boiler). The pump appears to be working, but the radiators are all coll or luke warm.

Can anyone offer any ideas as to whether we will definitely need a new boiler?

Thanks

Nigel

Sponsored Links
Must be a motorised valve closed or faulty.

Are you getting hot water ?

Boiler sounds ok,BTW.

sorry,
both motorised valves are ok, the pipes either side of the pump are cold, likewise pipes coming out of boiler are cold. We have no water or heating.

Nigel

Sponsored Links
Is the pump hot to touch and I mean hot as in take the skin off your hands?

hi Tony,
Its is just fairly warm, you can hold your hand on it no problem, you can undo the bleed screw & that spins when the pump is on

Thanks for helping with this

Nigel

No problems.

Right,when the boiler comes on are the pipes at the boiler hot,or is at least one of them hot?

The pipes all appear to be cold, not sure if the boiler has actually fired up at all tonite though.

Nigel

Sounds like it might be the boiler thermostat, when it switches off can you turn the thermostat up and hear it click.

Or a sludged up heat exchanger not letting heat escape.

James

Is there black (soot) stains on the wall above the boiler flue on the outside of the house?

And when the boiler is on what is the flame picture like, is it blue or is it yellow and soft/wavy?

As the guy previously said the thermostat could be gubbed , the HE blocked or the gas pressures are incorrect.

If the pipes at the boiler are not hot then either the boilers has a fault/isn't coming on or your pump is gubbed/full of air.

List of parts still available for this boiler here,

https://www.boilersparesdirect.co.uk/parts-online/shopdisplayproducts.asp?page=2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back