Storage Heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm hoping someone might be able to advise me on storage heaters? (Came across this site from another and it looks ace!!!)

Basically I have Creda Automatic storage heaters that have been in this property at a guess about 15-20 years (I've been here 10). My knowledge of them is zilch and was wondering if they required replacement after x no. of years? I've replaced one or two because they've stopped working but didn't know whether I should replace them all for some newer, more efficient ones (do they exist?)

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
My knowledge of them is zilch and was wondering if they required replacement after x no. of years?
No.

I've replaced one or two because they've stopped working but didn't know whether I should replace them all for some newer, more efficient ones (do they exist?)
No.

didn't know whether I should replace them all for some newer, more efficient ones (do they exist?)

Electric heaters storage or otherwise are 100% efficient in that all of the energy they use converts to useful heat. The only benefit of more modern ones is that they look better and (for some) are able to spread the heat output over a longer time. Unless you fancy the new look no point in replacing them.

Sponsored Links
Electric heaters storage or otherwise are 100% efficient in that all of the energy they use converts to useful heat.
That's not the case if the heater has a fan or a pretty light.

But most of the power for the light and fan will be converted to heat. :)
Please clarify - are you saying that some of the energy won't be converted to heat?

If so, what percentage won't be converted to heat?

If so, what percentage won't be converted to heat?
For an incandescent lamp about 10%.

Since we're in pedant mode light (from a lamp or anywhere else for that matter) incident on any non-reflective surface is converted to low-grade heat. Similarly for perturbations from a fan in a sealed room. In fact all work eventually is converted into low grade heat. So from that (not very useful) point of view 100% goes to heat. ;)

Since we're in pedant mode...
OK. Gloves off then.

Firstly, if someone says 100% efficient then they're just begging to be corrected, so I don't call the making of that correction an act of pedantry.

Secondly, if you're going to be pedantic, then it's a crime against all pedants to be incorrect. And you've committed it.

...light (from a lamp or anywhere else for that matter) incident on any non-reflective surface is converted to low-grade heat.
In that case the light that escapes through the glass windows won't contribute to the heating of the living space.

QED.

In that case the light that escapes through the glass windows won't contribute to the heating of the living space.

QED.

W-e-e-e-l-l noone actually mentioned heating the living space and it'll still get converted to heat somewhere. But I take your point about whether that would be 'useful' and any light that wends its merry way to the outermost fringes of the universe.
:D :D

Now that the first two laws of thermodynamics have been done to death, let's get back to the original post ---

Pinguxxx said:
--- replace them all for some newer, more efficient ones (do they exist?)

In common parlance, a heater can be called more efficient if it costs less to run. If Pinguxxx has a dual meter with a cheaper off-peak rate, the heater design becomes important. I can remember some early heaters with no heat output control whatsoever. The hotter their concrete blocks got, the more heat they put out. Result: The house was roasting hot first thing in the morning and slowly cooled down during the day - while everybody was out! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: By evening, when heat was really needed, the things were stone cold. :cry: :cry: :cry:

An 'efficient' heater (in the economic sense) is one which can hold its heat until it's actually needed. :) :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back