Demand in Scotland for Electrical Testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I work Offshore as an Electrical Engineer. The good thing about this Job, is the amount of time off. 2 weeks on 3 weeks off.

Anyway I was thinking that I could maybe do a little extra work whilst I am off, and was thinking of doing some Electrical Inspection and Tetsing around my local area (in Scotland). However I am unsure if there is much demand for such a service. I know England & Wales now have Part P but this is not in Scotland.

I do have installation experience and have both my 16th Edition (need to update to 17th) and my Inspection & testing Cert BS7671.

Is there anything else I would need if this was practicable?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I know England & Wales now have Part P but this is not in Scotland.

Inspection and testing is not just applicable to part P.

I do have installation experience and have both my 16th Edition (need to update to 17th) and my Inspection & testing Cert BS7671.

"my Inspection & testing Cert BS7671" Is this C&G 2391? If you are considering carrying out Periodic Inspection Reports - this requires a lot of experience on installations as well as having C&G 2391.

Is there anything else I would need if this was practicable?

£2M Professional Indemnity Insurance and calibrated test instruments.

Regards

Sponsored Links
This was taken from the NICEIC site

On 1 May 2005, a new building standards system came into force in Scotland. The system is administered by the Scottish Building Standards Agency (SBSA) and includes requirements for electrical installation work with a key aim of improving technical standards. Under the new system, any electrical work carried out under a SBSA building warrant will either have to be approved through:

the Certified route, which means that it is carried out by a registered contractor (known formally as an Approved Body);
the Non-certified route, which means that it is verified by the Local Authority (known formally as the Verifier).

Property owners or developers commissioning electrical installation work that requires a building warrant have the option of drawing upon the expertise of an Approved Body that employs an Approved Certifier of Construction.

Approved Certifiers of Construction are individuals who have demonstrated competence through their qualifications, knowledge and experience of the building regulations and supervising electrical installations to BS 7671.

Customers will gain an immediate benefit by using the services of an Approved Body because the certified installation does not require additional checks by the local authority building standards departments, who act as Verifiers. Under this scheme the Verifier must accept a valid certificate of construction relating to the work performed as a record of compliance with the building regulations. This should make the process of construction and certification more efficient for all parties involved.

Both the Certifier of Construction and the Approved Body employing them must be registered with an appropriate Scheme provider, such as NICEIC. NICEIC maintains an online register of Approved Bodies making it easy for property owners and developers to find a contractor in their area. SBSA maintains the definitive register of Approved Certifiers of Construction, Approved Bodies and Certification Scheme Providers.

Who is the SBSA scheme applicable to?

NICEIC welcomes applications from any electrical contractor or contracting organisation actively working in Scotland who can demonstrate their competence to perform installation work in accordance with the Scottish Building Regulations and the scheme qualification criteria.

What are the immediate benefits of NICEIC approval?

Contractors can be assured that their installations are accepted by the Verifier as complying with the building regulations and that they are recognised for the quality of their work. They will also gain:

Free entry on the NICEIC and SBSA registers of approved contractors, a valuable reference for householders, landlords and other buyers of contracting services
Free access to the NICEIC Technical Manual, the industry's most definitive guide to complying with BS 7671
Technical support through seminars, publications, technical helpline and a secure log in area on the NICEIC website
The ability to pass on benefits to customers that are not available through the non-certified route to compliance

Customers of registered contractors will enjoy the following benefits:

Quicker acceptance of completion certificates by local authorities
A partial refund on the warrant fee when a certificate of construction is submitted with the completion certificate
Confidence that the work performed is in compliance with the Building Regulations

How to gain NICEIC approval?

The process of approval follows three simple steps:

Application for approval is made by the contractor by downloading an Application Form
Assessment of the contractors competence is undertaken by NICEIC
Approval is granted by NICEIC and maintained by the contractor

NICEIC will review the application and appoint and Assessing Engineer to conduct the onsite assessment to assess competence of the contractor. Contractors will need to demonstrate their competence by:

employing and supporting a ‘Certifier of Construction’
maintaining a register of all certified work
undergoing on-site assessment of a recent installation*.

All potential Certifiers of Construction will be required to undergo training in the understanding of the Scottish Building Regulations and to maintain their knowledge on an ongoing basis. To find a course near you contact NICEIC Training or call 0870 013 0389.

If the contractor does not meet the Scheme requirements, NICEIC will provide guidance to enable them to achieve compliance and gain approval.

Once approval is achieved, it is maintained through a programme of annual assessment visits and through update training on the Scottish Building Regulations every three years.

*Please note the NICEIC Approved Contractors are exempt from onsite assessment at application stage.

Additional guidance
For additional guidance on the Scheme please see:

The NICEIC Guide to the Certification of Construction (Electrical Installations to BS 7671) Scheme - click here to download.

The Scottish Building Standards Agency website

NICEIC also publishes the Scottish Building Regulations Handbook, which provides extensive guidance for contractors working under the certified and non-certified routes to compliance. Please visit NICEIC Direct to obtain a copy.

Hope that helps :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back