Decking lights - 1 gang switch wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, wiring up some decking lights & have a problem with the switch. I have brought a 1 gang external switch & confused about wiring it up. The earth is easy as they goes on the socket back plate. But what about the live/nutural as the light switch has "com", "1way" & "2way". From the instructions, it says about the "L" but not the "N".

decking%20ights.jpg

Sponsored Links
? I have now figured that I put the live from the cable in the "com" & then the live from the source in the "L1/1WAY" connection or vice versa depending on switch, but what do i do with the "N" wire?

Option 1:

Remove the sheath from the cable, but only cut the live & earth cores to connect to the switch terminals, just leave the neutral intact.

Option 2:

Cut the N as well and use a bit of chock-block to reconnect.

Option 3:

As per #2, but use a through-crimp to reconnect.

Sponsored Links
What size fuse is supplying the circuit? What type and size of cable are you using? What type of lamp fittings are they - what size max fuse does the manufacturers instruction say? I take it you know about part p and notification?

1) How are you glanding T/E in and out of the socket & switch enclosures, and the lights?

2) Where are you running the T/E cable, given that it's not really meant for use outside?

3) What type of circuit is the socket on, and what is the rating of the MCB?

cool, so if i under stand right,

option 1: teminate the neutral by not connecting up.
option 2: use a connection block to connect the neutral from the source/lights together.
option 3: as above (option 2).

so what is the ideal/safest way bearing in mind its outside.

It doesn't matter if they were done professionally or not, you are adding to it so what you add needs to be correct and safe. The immediate thing I notice is the lack of a FCU or similar to fuse down the supply to the lights. Also using twin and earth outside isn't a great idea.
This work is notifiable to your LABC under part p of the building regs.

1) How are you glanding T/E in and out of the socket & switch enclosures, and the lights?

2) Where are you running the T/E cable, given that it's not really meant for use outside?

3) What type of circuit is the socket on, and what is the rating of the MCB?

1) the lights are mounted to boarding on the treles and the wire is drilled through the back, through a gromet and into the light.

post-2109-1182249441_thumb.jpg

2) I usesd t/e as the lights needed an earth & i had the cable spare in the shed.

3) the socket is on its one circuit connected to an RCD unit in the shed.

these lights will only ever be used in the summer/dry.

cool, so if i under stand right,

option 1: teminate the neutral by not connecting up.
No - if you just terminate it, then the lights won't work, will they. Option 1 is don't cut the neutral where the cable passes through the switch on its way to the first light.

so what is the ideal/safest way bearing in mind its outside.
It all takes place inside the switch enclosure, so any method will be as safe, or as flaky, as any other...

Dont know fuse size at home, but the electics i am connection to were all done professionally
Yes but is the socket on a radial circuit, or is it a spur off a ring?

Did you decide to use a switch rather than an FCU because you know that's OK, or because you don't know how to do it properly?

Do the manufacturers of the lights specify a maximum fuse/MCB rating?

I have heard of P part :confused:
Is it your intention to comply with it?

1) the lights are mounted to boarding on the treles and the wire is drilled through the back, through a gromet and into the light.
I can see how a grommet might be OK for round cable, but I doubt it would maintain the right IP rating with 1 or 2 T/E cables. Ditto where it goes in and out of the socket & switch enclosures - do the instructions for those allow for the use of grommets, or do they specify glands?

2) I usesd t/e as the lights needed an earth & i had the cable spare in the shed.
Do the makers suggest the use of T/E?

Is it the right size of cable given the MCB that it's on?

Will it be adequately protected against mechanical damage?

Will it be adequately protected against UV damage?

Will it be concealed at any point?

3) the socket is on its one circuit connected to an RCD unit in the shed.
See above - it it a radial or a spur?

these lights will only ever be used in the summer/dry.
Yes but they, the wiring and the switch will be outside 365x24, won't they...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back