New laminate floor and it's making a cracking sound.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. New to forum. Installed a new laminate floor about 3 weeks ago and ever since it's been laid, when I walk across it, I hear a cracking sound in spots. Mainly in the hallway. It's beginning to drive me nuts. It's a 7mm laminate floor, uniclic design. It almost seems as if the joins are flexing and causing the sound. Like a cracking or clicking sound. Will this go away? Is something wrong?

Thanks,
Nitemare.

Sponsored Links
The cracking sound is caused by the laminat flexing. Now any floor is going to flex a bit. It sounds that if the cracking sound is excessive, then maybe the surface on which the floor is laid on is not very flat. presume you used underlay beneath the laminate floor?

Yes I used the 2mm foam that came with the laminate. The floor beneath never had any visible dips. The cracking is not too excessive. Just hear it when I walk every now and then but alittle is too much for my liking. So this is normal then?

heeelllooo nightmare

did you leave an expansion gap all the way round

big all

Sponsored Links
Yep there is an expansion gap of 1/4 inch the whole way around. Now under the door jam might be a shade tight but it can still move. Think that could be a problem?

Alright, seems my buddies who helped me install this, have one small portion (one inch to be exact from a cutout) that is touching the base of one wall, the other side has a gap. This is in the hallway where the sound is the worst. In the living and dining room I've hardly heard any cracking sound at all just the hallway. Could this one spot be doing it? I don't have any baseboards down yet, waiting on them to be made. Other than that one spot, I can see all the rest of the way around and there is not touching anywhere else, the only part I can't see is under the reducers. Should I take up the reducers and see if the sound goes away as well as trim it back from the wall where it's touching, or would you trim that piece first and see what happens?

mmmmmmmm need a translator

any thing that stops sideways movment

hitting a point no matter how small could cause problems
it stops the floor on ither sideof the contact moving aswell

so trim the point away

baseboard!!!!!! is that skirting boards or edging floor to wall finish!!

are reducers covering strips under doors or where the floors meet
or both if so so should still have an expansion gap of a few mm
you might find by loosening them the pressure releases
and floor levels out

any way get back when you can

big all

Baseboard would be the moulding that's about 4 inches high and goes around the walls directly above the floor. The reducers are made to even out the height difference between the laminate and the carpet, and the canvas flooring. Round over on one side, with a rabet on the other to allow for the laminate. I will trim the point and see what happens from there though this weekend. I will post the results.

Well, I've learn't that baseboards are skirting boards and reducers are hmmm I don't really know what they're called in the UK! But echo ba's good luck (btw ba are you the same big all as the screwfix one?)

helllooo eddie m

yep the[heeelllooo should give it away] ;)

big all

Put a straight edge on the flooring and is there any higher point on the joint ?

masona said:
Put a straight edge on the flooring and is there any higher point on the joint ?

Ha Ha, welcome back, I knew you'd never be able to keep away :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back