whats the difference between all the different heating plans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
whats the difference between all the different heating plans? ie w plan etc?
cheers
ben

Sponsored Links
thanks for the link,but why are they called s plan etc? are they shaped like an s?
ben

why are they called s plan etc? are they shaped like an s?

Search me ;) Someone at Honeywell thought up these names years ago and it has stuck.

The S plan uses Separate motorized valves for CH and HW
The Y plan uses one mid-position valve at the Y junction, where HW and CH paths separate. (Why not call it a T plan? It's a more acurate description)
The W plan is like a Y plan but give priority to Hot Water.

As for the C plan; I can't think up a reason for the name right now :)

Sponsored Links
I was pondering this earlier. Would the C be Conventional plan? Gravity circulation using large bore pipework, later amended to retain use of gravity for the hot water circuit, (still using 28mm large bore pipes) but with the addition of a circulator on the heating side to facilitate use of smaller bore pipework.

What plan would i have? Ive got a combi but beforehand the house must have had a vented system because there is still an old water tank in the loft. I dont think that the pipe work would have been taken out and changed when the new boiler was fitted because the last owners cheaped out and bought a useless Sime boiler.

What plan would i have? Ive got a combi but beforehand the house must have had a vented system because there is still an old water tank in the loft. I dont think that the pipe work would have been taken out and changed when the new boiler was fitted because the last owners cheaped out and bought a useless Sime boiler.

A combi does not need a "plan", which is only used when hot water is indirectly heated by the boiler and stored in a cylinder, usually in the airing cupboard. In the case of a combi, the water comes straight fom the mains, is heated by the boiler and goes from there straight to the tap.

There are some combis which have storage as well, but that is not the normal way a combi works.

Would the C be Conventional plan? Gravity circulation using large bore pipework, later amended to retain use of gravity for the hot water circuit, (still using 28mm large bore pipes) but with the addition of a circulator on the heating side to facilitate use of smaller bore pipework.
Your reply made me think. :rolleyes: :idea: It's not really gravity but Convection which makes the water circulate so maybe that's why it was called a C-plan?

Certainly a possibility! There again as you said previously a T plan would be a more apt name for the Y plan so I am unsure of the logic used when they named these setups... S could also be a Split valves I suppose. (But that would mean a wet house though.) :LOL:

Hi yall,

I was speaking to a fellow spark regarding the naming conventions for central heating plans. He reckons that the initals (S, Y, C, etc) are derived from french words, which when translated better describe the functunality or shape of the plans (if you catch my drift). What these French words were had escaped him but credit to him if he's right!

if your watertank is still in use, you have what is known as: a botchjob.
one of the great advantages of a combi is that it makes the disgusting open tanks obsolete, so every tap in the house supplies potable water. or as it apparently is called these days: wholesome

A combi does not need a "plan", which is only used when hot water is indirectly heated by the boiler and stored in a cylinder, usually in the airing cupboard. In the case of a combi, the water comes straight fom the mains, is heated by the boiler and goes from there straight to the tap.

There are some combis which have storage as well, but that is not the normal way a combi works.

Although true
I have s-plan (zoning) at home on my combi as I have 4 seperate floors
as for C-plan I always presumed it stood for conventional but convection sounds good too
matt

if your watertank is still in use, you have what is known as: a botchjob.
one of the great advantages of a combi is that it makes the disgusting open tanks obsolete, so every tap in the house supplies potable water. or as it apparently is called these days: wholesome

My water tank is still use and would never change it,combi are no good when you have no mains water like we did when we had the floods in cheltenham.nearly everyone in my street didn't have a bath or shower for days,yet we had showers (power shower)every day as i filled my loft tank with fresh water i got from work which was un affected by the floods.so there is good things and bad things about open tanks and i will never have a combi as long as i live.

honeywell also have the u plan (under floor heating) and g plan (which also used to be mfi furniture), I think it had momo valves but I have never seen it installed anywhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back