Glow worm Ultimate 40FF not starting Ignition sequence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I’m new to the forum and have no previous boiler experience.

1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil)
Glow worm Ultimate 40FF (gas)

2) What is / is not happening.
LED (1) on the boiler PCB is lighting but as soon the control thermostat knob is turned to start the lighting sequence, the LED goes out and nothing happens (no fan, no sparking etc).
The wall controls (Honeywell ST699) are switched to constant for both water and heating.

But please note I did have the gas switched off at the main.

Shouldn’t the boiler still attempt to go through the ignition sequence even if the gas is off?

Also is the pump (situated near the hot water tank)

3) Has ANYTHING else been done or changed recently.
I acquired my first property in September and both the gas and the boiler have been off since then. I have put in a new kitchen and the wall control and fused spur had to be moved.
I went through the electrical fault finding page in the manual with my friend (electrician). He noticed that there was not 240v between thermostat and Neutral, it was showing about 50v. He thinks that I should replace the thermostat and thermostat cut-off.

4) When did the problem start?
When I tried to light the boiler!

5) When does it happen? eg, heating coming on or going off.
N/A as nothing happens!

6) Anything else you feel may be of relevance.
The rads had been removed while I have been decorating. They have all been put back on and system bled, re filled and pressurised. Some had new TRV’s fitted.

Should I switch the gas on and try the ignition sequence again?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
As I said earlier, I think you need professional help!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back