Should I vent from a bedroom into the soffit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have condensation build up on the windows in the bedroom. There are no trickle vents to open and I'd rather not leave the window open all year round.

Is it a good idea to drill holes above the lintel and put a vent from the bedroom into the soffit? Will that do "bad" things to the effect of the cavity insulation?

Sponsored Links
You can drill a hole high up and stick a vent on either side. The warm air will rise up and out, taking the moisture with it. Consider a built in insect screen on the outer vent, and a open/close inside vent.

Of course there will be some heat loss, and maybe a noise issue if there's a main road outside. but might still be better than condensation.

Either a big hole with a core drill, or lots of smaller ones in a concentrated area.

You might also be able to retrofit trickle vents.

Weigh up the P's & C's.

You really want to vent to fresh air.

The soffit is going to have lost of dust and possibly insulation fibres floating about

Don't you have a night/trickle position on the casements to enable them to be locked in a slightly ajar position?

Trickle vents can be fitted retrospectively to the frame - you just drill it and screw the vent covers on.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for that. I'll investigate whether I can fit trickle vents, but if not will vent direct to outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back