OPINIONS AND ADVICE ON QUOTE. thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just had a quote in from a building firm for a kitchen extension and also a conservatory I'm planning. Kitchen will be 5m by 5m approx and the conservatory will be 3m by 3m.
Just wanted a few opinions on the prices as shown itemised for each part of the job below, if you think its reasonable? As its the first quote I've had.

I'm looking to save as much money as possible but without cutting corners and quality. I'm a confident DIY'er and I'm happy to try and take any of the lesser-skilled labouring jobs out of the quote if possible. I know its difficult to comment without seeing the plans and the site but mostly just after a few opinions. Thanks

the reads as follows.

strip site, reduced level dig, excavate foundations by hand £985

compact bottom of excavations, concrete to founds by hand, mesh reinforce, drill into existing foundation £841

substructure £1518

hardcore to fill ground floor by hand, sand blasting and visqueen £1054

assume mesh reinforcement to ground floor, 75cm ground floor insulation 75cm screed £989

superstructure, cavity wall construction consisting:block work, cavity 100/100, full insulation, face brickwork. scaffolding, window profiles £5664

demolition and alterations, remove existing window and make good, 7mm dust screen, break through form new door way and make good £689

extra skips £700

conservatory onto existing base £5500

total £18'020.00 prices include VAT and a 10 year insurance.

this price doesn't include the flat roof or internal stud wall finishes.

any opinions are appreciated.

cheers

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the responses guys, I thought it sounded v. reasonable. Im still looking to save money as i have a whole house to renovate, in your professional opinions how difficult is the first part of the quote, stripping the site and sorting out the founds? thanks again.

Sponsored Links
if digger access is a no-no, then labour wise, it is very difficult.

you want to get the foundation trench dug out, passed by building control and back filled with concrete as quick as poss.

the last thing you want is a few rainy days collapsing the trench sides in. :eek:

if the trench interferes with any services or drain runs then be prepared for even more aggro. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back