path problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of laying a path up to my front door using block paving.There is a slight fall towards the house ,about 40mm over 7 metres,is this a problem?Also can I use a decking board on its edge set in concrete,for the restraining edge,or will it need something more stronger.

Sponsored Links
don't use a timber edging as it will rot over time.

we tend to lay a path in screed sand mixed with cement as this alleviates the need for a compactor.

why, i hear you say?

a small narrow area such as a path can react in a non-uniform manner, when passed over by a compactor. spread can be a problem and dips can occur, causing a little ponding.

if you do lay the pathway in a 'screed mortar' as opposed to a standard bed of screed sand, then you will be able to haunch the mortar up the sides of the paviors creating a concrete restraint.

if the soil either side of the pathway is a fair bit higher than the path, then you will need to use a raised edging.

40mm fall in 7m is not a lot. lay the starter edge of the path to a line. this way you will have an accurate fall to the path.

Thanks for that noseall,that makes a lot of sense,what ratio for the screed would you suggest 5:1 ok?

Sponsored Links
just make sure the levels either side of the path will not cause rain water to flow onto the path and onwards.

a friend laid a block patio with a very small fall to the house which in itself was not a problem but the water from the garden surrounding the patio flowed nicely onto the patio ........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back