Insulating Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've heard mixed reports on insulating Cavity walls...I was at a recent Home exhibition...lots of companies promoting it....there was an architech who was against the idea....anyone got any thoughts??

Sponsored Links
I think it is well worth doing as long as you have a minimum 50mm cavity and it is fairly clear. Personally I would prefer blown mineral wool rather than foam. What I can tell you is that it makes a dramatic difference to the comfort of the home and significantly reduces or elmininates condensation and mold growth. It also knocks a fair few pints of Guiness off your annual fuel bill.

Darren..where u based?
Im in ireland too and interested in doing same...however from research the warmfill beads can cause damp probs(bridging the cavity etc)
Havent noticed anyone in Ireland who blow in the rockwool..have u?
Marty.

Sponsored Links
....there was an architech who was against the idea....

Is this the same guy who claims the world is flat and the sun is at the centre of the universe? I've seen him too.

Mineral fibre is preferable to foam or poly beads. Fibre would not cause any problems but foam or beads could be more at risk of causing pockets of dampness.

Please hurry up and insulate your walls as otherwise the earth will melt into one big bucket of tar. Also stop using anything with an engine, and snip your electricity supply and gas pipes - the heat from Chinese factories will keep us all warm for the next few years.

....there was an architech who was against the idea....

Is this the same guy who claims the world is flat and the sun is at the centre of the universe? I've seen him too.

Mineral fibre is preferable to foam or poly beads. Fibre would not cause any problems but foam or beads could be more at risk of causing pockets of dampness.

Please hurry up and insulate your walls as otherwise the earth will melt into one big bucket of tar. Also stop using anything with an engine, and snip your electricity supply and gas pipes - the heat from Chinese factories will keep us all warm for the next few years.

thats not really fair woody. (i dont mean to be a miserable sod cos i know you were avin a laugh)
cavities were never created to insulate, they were for water ingress as im sure you know.
the cavity has become a useful place to place insulation but as the cavity is getting wider it makes me wonder how stable they will be.

in not suggesting to leave out the insulation but the flat earth man has a valid point.

i know' that you know all of this but im sure that people dont understand. hence the overstructured garages mentioned on here.

When cavity walls were developed, I don't think that there was the technology available to produce insulation, and so that was not the driving force behind the concept of a cavity. However, the insulation value of an air space was noted.

Blown fibre does not tend to wick moisture, and full fill batts have a moisture replant, and so just because the cavity is full, does not mean it will be a moisture bridge.

There are some issues with foam and bead insulation though, so these are the least preferable systems.

Full fill insulation has been around quite a while now, and is proven not to be a problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back