position of room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As we're planning to move a radiator, it's occurred to me that it might be a bit too close to the room thermostat.

Is there a recommended minimum horizontal distance? If we mount the radiator under the window where it's going to be the most convenient, it will be within about 4 feet horizontally of the stat.

Is this too close?

Sponsored Links
HI

it is better to move room stat .if it is too close to the radiator it might
affect the correct performance of the room stat.

HI

it is better to move room stat .if it is too close to the radiator it might
affect the correct performance of the room stat.

It will not affect stat as stated by LUNAT(IC),IT WILL DO IT'S JOB too quickly and turn off heating before desired temp is reached. Try and re-position further away ,out of incoming sun thro' windows at approx 1.5m from floor.

Damn, that's what I feared. We only thought about moving the radiator after we'd had the room plastered :cry:

Not sure we want to go down that route!

Thanks for your replies. What is normally considered 'too close' ?

Sponsored Links
No specific distance as such, depends on room size, air changes etc; just see how it fares and if push comes to shove......... move it!

Keith.

HI

wiggikins, thats what i meant but since you are more educated than
me you can explain better :LOL:

No specific distance as such, depends on room size, air changes etc; just see how it fares and if push comes to shove......... move it!

Keith.

I'm hoping I'll be able to avoid that! The room will be freshly decorated by then and I don't want to have to start tearing new chunks into the walls to chase in the cable in a new location.

I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed!

Sorry for hijacking this thread but maybe someone can answer a question for me?

My recently built house has an enclosed living room space and just off that is a very small hallway leading to the stairs (Also enclosed)

The thermostat is right next to the front door in the small hallway - theres a very small radiator just by the stairs.

Question is: is it good design to stick the thermostat right next to the front door where theres obviously drafty conditions?

Every time I open the front door (Especially in this weather) The heating switches on - but the house is perfectly warm as the living room is isolated from this small space where the thermostat is?

Very strange, I thought.

Maybe I'm missing something here??

I don't know what would be best in your situation, I'm no heating engineer.

Honeywell do a system where you've got an electronic thermostatic valve on each radiator (with batteries). Each valve has a wireless link back to a central controller which presumably takes the place of your normal room thermostat. As I understand it you can set the temperature of each room individually on the stat for the rad in that room (so all of your rooms can be at different temperatures), and if any of the rads need to come on the stat tells the central control unit which fires up the boiler.

However, it's reasonably expensive and the rads are quite bulky and ugly in my opinion.

It'd solve your hall stat problem though - you could have the rad in the hall on a really cool setting that'd only get triggered when the hall gets /really/ cold.

you can always use a wireless room stat rather than running wires and grooving out walls :idea:
Leave the old stat to cover hole(not working) or fill hole if you havnt decorated??

you can always use a wireless room stat rather than running wires and grooving out walls :idea:
Leave the old stat to cover hole(not working) or fill hole if you havnt decorated??

Thanks.

I've already got a fairly new 7 day programmable Honeywell electronic stat (which was about £70) so would prefer to use that if I can.

I've had a look round and reckon that I could put the stat on the under stairs cupboard wall and run cables up the inside of the wall. I still have access inside the cupboard because it's not plastered inside and the plasterboard is fixed with drywall screws, not nails. Also, once I've got to the top of the wall it's just a quick run across the landing (where there's no carpet at the moment and I can just lift the floorboards) and then into the airing cupboard where the controller is.

The only question would then be is whether it's sensible to have a room stat 15 feet from any outside wall and within 2 feet of the kitchen door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back