What RSJ will I need

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to take out my dividing wall its lenth is 3.300 cm (130 inches)
can anyone give me an idea of the size of RSJ required or steel that Travis Perks can supply I have an account with them, also any tips would be most welcome
Cheers
Steve

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, none of us here are clairvoyant and know what load (if any) is applied to this beam, what the width of the wall is, what it's going to sit on, etc - could be one Catnic, two Catnics, a UB/UC/PFC/RSA, could even be a bit of wood, which could be C16/C24/D30 graded...

You need someone to design it for you. There's normally a fee involved, say £80 to £100 plus VAT if it doesn't need a site visit and you can provide all the dimensions.

PS Probably a 203x102UB23 with engineer brick padstones either end will suffice, but you need it designing.

Also, this sounds like controlled work and will require b/regs approval - and they will check your calcs or approve the lintel.

I'm going for a 178x102x19 UB if this is a typical semi dividing wall :p

Sponsored Links
A pair of concrete lintels grippied together, end to end.

:evil:

check out prices from other merchants. i've found TP too expensive in past for lintels.

Just to update you all, the wall supports the upstairs joists (which you already know) there is a breeze block wall on top of the floorboards directly over the wall to be removed, I have read some of your replys thankyou but still a bit unsure what some of them mean
Cheers

We need to be able to work out what area of floor(s), wall and roof etc it supports

We need to be able to work out what area of floor(s), wall and roof etc it supports
Hold up, hold up. This is supposed to be a forum as to how to do things, like: "I've got this opening and a beam has been designed, I'm doing the install, how do I go about it?", not 'kin' free structural design services!

It's structural work, it needs BRegs approval, it will need a design doing for a beam and bearings to get that approval. We all know it will be something like a 152x89 or 178x102, or even a Catnic CN6X, but whilst that will enable him to order it, he still won't get his appro and referring the BCO to this site where Shytalkz/Woody/FNT (heaven forbid :LOL:)/whomsoever told me the size isn't going to be sufficient. And nor should it be :mad: .

Yes, in all seriousness never rely on a forum poster who says that the beam should be 'x' size. It needs to be proven by calculation or otherwise - unless you want the whole lot coming down on your head one evening while you are watching Emerdale.

And whoever does the calcs should really visit to see that there are no 'non-standard' loadings to be considered

Some LA BCO's can approve beams of certain size in certain domestic situations without the need to provide calcs.

Even if you did post the dimensions, I would not rely on any replies based on them - however well intentioned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back