Workshop Roof Design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently building a brick workshop, and will shortly need to make a start on the roof.
The shed measures 3.8m x 2.4m and ideally i'd like a pitched roof along its length. This would mean i'd have a pitch of approx 20 degrees.
I'd like a roof that doesnt look too industrial, so no corrugated sheet material, i've been considering felt shingles or maybe concrete tiles the same as the ones on the house.
What are peoples thoughts?
Also i'd like to design the trusses so that I can use some of the roof space as storage, which sort of truss design would be best for this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
2.4m wide? That sod all, you can knock up a simple triangle using 4x2's and plywood triangles to brace the corners, with a vertical hanger dead centre. If you leave them open you can store lengths of timber, pipe etc up there.

20 degrees will cause problems with some roof coverings, so make sure whatever you go for is specced for the roof pitch, and follow manufacturers guidelines.

2.4m wide? That s** all, you can knock up a simple triangle using 4x2's and plywood triangles to brace the corners, with a vertical hanger dead centre. If you leave them open you can store lengths of timber, pipe etc up there.

a bit like this
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/?action=view&current=workshop005.jpg

the span is 10ft the timbers are 3x2" and they are up to 4ft apart to alline with the joins on the 6x4ft sheets on
at 30 degrees and 5ft each side a six foot length gives you 6 inch overlap

i didnt install central hangers as i decided it would impede sorting out the timber in the "A" frames

12mm ply used on the "A" frames this means at the shed ends where the a frames meet the 3x2" side on its the same size

Sponsored Links
2.4m wide? That s** all, you can knock up a simple triangle using 4x2's and plywood triangles to brace the corners, with a vertical hanger dead centre. If you leave them open you can store lengths of timber, pipe etc up there.

a bit like this
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/?action=view&current=workshop005.jpg

the span is 10ft the timbers are 3x2" and they are up to 4ft apart to alline with the joins on the 6x4ft sheets on
at 30 degrees and 5ft each side a six foot length gives you 6 inch overlap

i didnt install central hangers as i decided it would impede sorting out the timber in the "A" frames

12mm ply used on the "A" frames this means at the shed ends where the a frames meet the 3x2" side on its the same size

That looks spot on.
Don't suppose youve got any in progress pics as you built it have you?
What did you tile/dover the ply with?
And also have you put an extra high door on the end or something so you can get access to that area?

Thanks Al :)

i am assuming you can scroll through the 12 pictures by clicking on the small images on the top right hand side!!!

look at the last 2 pictures for the storage doors

or are these any better!!!

the roof is 3 layers torch on felt [now] cost around £150 including a very good drink for the man next door with the gas bottle and torch :LOL:

should last 15 or 20 years ;)

That looks good Al.
It wouldnt let me see the other pictures in your album from the first link, as it wanted a password.
But the thumbnails you just posted worked ok.
It looks good, I hadn't thought about having opening doors on the end of the gable like that, but its a good idea, think i'll do that.
The trusses look a lot easier than i thought i'd need.
In your first post where you mention the 6" overlap, is that between ply sheets or hte overhand of the sheet from the sides of the workshop?

That looks good Al.
It wouldnt let me see the other pictures in your album from the first link, as it wanted a password.
But the thumbnails you just posted worked ok.
It looks good, I hadn't thought about having opening doors on the end of the gable like that, but its a good idea, think i'll do that.
The trusses look a lot easier than i thought i'd need.
In your first post where you mention the 6" overlap, is that between ply sheets or hte overhand of the sheet from the sides of the workshop?

the overlap is wholy out the side from the face off the txg shiplap to the edge of the roof

the roof trusses where dead easy i drew a plan on the floor of the shed during construction this allowed me to work out the angle [30 degrees] that also left 6 inches hanging out the side

the plan also let me work out the length of the 3 bits of 3x2" and the cut angles off each plus the 3 pairs of 12mm ply for the a frames

hi
I have just been through the same thing. Mine was only 4.2 x 3.2.

Decided to go for a timber frame, using weatherboard on the sides that could be seen to match with the garage/laundry.

I don't know if you can install bracing ply on the inside, but it might make a reasonably cheap interior cladding.

I'll be watching your progress.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back