Bank Holiday 2 Way Light Switch!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Normally I get these 2 way switches right... until now. Searched for an answer but the cable colours are different, let me explain...

2 cables:
1st cable (one way) has black with red tape wire, red wire and earth wire

2nd cable (two way) has black with red tape wire, red wire with ajoining small red wire (this gives a 12v reading) and earth wire.

Please can someone tell me which wires connect to the L1, COM and L2 for the two way switch and for the one way switch.

Thank very much for the replies!

Sponsored Links
hi DIYer.

Assuming you have the cables correctly identified:

the one way wire will go to the COM and L1 terminals, or the L1 and L2 depending on the switch (if you get it the wrong way round the switch will just work upside down so that one is easy to check).

The 2 way sounds as though you have just the strappers at this end, using T+E and an additional wire (is the ajoining small red wire the same size as the other two?)

If that is the case, you need to check at the other two way switch. That should have the other end of these three wires, and you just need to duplicate the terminals at both ends (it doesn't matter which goes where as long as they go to the same ones at both ends). If my reading is right, the other switch will also have a black and a red wire running to the actual light, providing the live and switched live.

Just watch out that both two way switches have the same markings, as some have L1 L2 L3 and others have COM L1 and L2, just to confuse the DIYer....

There may be other options though, as there is more than one way to wire a switch.

If you are still unsure, ask - and pictures always help! :D

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Thank you for your reply! I think you have correctly idenified my problem from my discription!

The new 2 gang 2 way switch has COM, L1 and L2.

The strapper (same size) is from the two way cable.

The other 1 gang 2 way switch by the other door I haven't had to replace so this is untouched.

Where would the strapper wire go please?

for two way circuits
If they are strappers, which I am not sure
There would be two rather than one
On older switches there would be
one on L1 One on L2 and none on com
This is most likely

There could however also be three though, one on each terminal L1 L2 and com
Not as popular though

The strappers are just links to the same terminals on the other switch
Whether two or three

Sponsored Links
I *think* that the twin and earth and the single red are strappers to the other switch, in which case you just need to duplicate what is at that switch (just unscrew it from the wall but don't undo the wiring).

If there is not an extra piece of twin and earth at that switch, which feeds the light, then you likely have a junction box 2 way setup, and it might be time to experiment.

An easy test would be - with the wires safely isolated in seperate choc blocks at the new switch, does the old switch still turn the light on and off?

Gavin

Where's the candles!?

The other two way one gang switch doesn't have a strapper.

Bit confussed now! Does this sound right on the two way two gang switch:

One way switch:
Black (with red tape) to COM
Red to L1
Strapper (live) to L2

Two way switch:
Black (with red tape) to L2
Red to L1
Red (live) and strapper to COM

Cheers!

To me, this sounds like a case of this:

Ignore reference to "hall and landing" if this is not the case.

xf98ig.png

This is someone elses switch.........
They have a twin red cable as opposed to red/black though.........

20krh5k.jpg

Still not working, wired up my cables as the above diagram but still no joy.

Will post a picture tomorrow of what I've got:

2 cables:

1st cable (one way to a single light) has black wire with red tape, red wire and earth wire

2nd cable (two way operates another single light via this switch and another switch which I haven't touched) has black wire with red tape, red wire with ajoining small red wire (this gives a 12v reading) and earth wire.

Need to wire up the two gang two way light which has L1, L2 and COM.

Candles again tonight! Thanks for any suggestions.

Why not wire it up the same as the way the old one was?

How are the terminals on the old switch marked?

That was the idea, but the old switch was L1, L2 and L3. Took it off and got all confused. Wired the new switch up can't get it right.

[code:1]

old switch....new switch

....L1............com
....L2.............L1
....L3.............L2

[/code:1]

<edit> spent too much time messing about doing that in code!

Just to clarify..... :LOL:

Old Sw.......New Sw

1..................COM
2..................L1
3..................L2

[edit] - Spent too much time taking the mick :D x x x

Thanks but can't remember which wires went where now that I've tried so many combinations.

This is what I have in the back box now:

1st cable (one way to a single light) has black wire with red tape, red wire and earth wire

2nd cable (two way operates another single light via this switch and another switch which I haven't touched) has black wire with red tape, red wire with ajoining small red wire (this gives a 12v reading) and earth wire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back