Adding Radiator in conservatory using 10mm pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am adding a radiator in my conservatory. There is a radiator very close in the dining room but all the radiators in the house run off 10mm pipe, which goes back to 15mm feed pipes in the floor boards.

I know that simply teeing of the back of the radiator in the dining room will not work because of the flow restriction so I am thinking of going back to the 15mm pipes in the floor boards.

I have looked at the pipes in the floor boards and there is 15mm flow/return pipes which have a tee off to the dining room radiator (15mm to 15mm with 10mm branch) and at the end of the 15mm pipes there is another tee (15mm to 2 10mm branches) which feeds the back 2 bedrooms. So there are 3 radiators running of these 15mm pipes. The dining room radiator is 600x600 double and the bedrooms are 500x700Lg singles.

My questions are:-

1 - Am I doing the right thing in going back to the 15mm pipes &
2 - Is the 15mm pipes still going to give enough flow now that there will be 4 radiator's teeing off instead of 3. The new radiator is 600x900lg double.

If it helps I have a 18 month old Biasi Garda HE, Model M96.24SM - Max output of 85.295 BTU. At the moment there are a total of 7 radiators running. Please note that the 3 I have mentioned above are on seperate flow/return pipes than the remaining 4.

Hope this is clear.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
HI

you can simply tee off from the dining room rad even if it is 10mm.
and if you want you can go back to 15mm.
in both cases your new rad will work perfect.just have to balance the system on completion.

I would go back at least as far as the 15mm if doing this.

Ideally, go back to airing cupboard and add another zone valve into the flow for conservatory radiator with a separate room stat in conservatory.

In an ideal world and to try and maintain flow and efficiency I would attempt to get no more than 6kw out off 15mm. Zone valve on flow is good idea, as then its not permanently heated, which might get you in trouble with building inspector.

Sponsored Links
The figure most quoted used to be 14,000 Btu/hr off 15mm, which is, er 14000/3412 = about 4kW. (based on noise due to water flow speed)

HE boilers should use larger temp differentials (temp drop across the rads) , 20C instead of 10/11, so the flow rates can be lower.
SO using the same flow speed you could feed 8kW. (IF your rads are correctly sized to 50 degrees above room temp not 60). Which ties up with heatingman's comment.
(
Balancing your setup could be darned tricky though!

Hi all
Thanks for you comments.

LUNAT suggests that teeing from the dining room rad will work. Do anyone else have any views on this. I would have thourght having 2 double rads of the same 10mm flow/returns pipes could cause a flow restiction.

One thing I should have mentioned is that the new rad is already installed and I tried connecting it in "series" with the dinning room rad. i.e. flow pipes goes into new rad, then from new rad to dining room rad, then back to the "return pipe". The new rad heats up great but the old dining room rad only get's luke warm even through the return valve on the new rad is fully open. Also tried balancing. This is why I am worried that the 10mm feed pipes are not enough to feed the 2 rad's whether they are in "series" or one tee'd of the other.

Also when running the pipes into the conseratory I put valve's on both pipes (inside the house) so I could completely turn off the conservatory rad.

Any further comments would be greatly appriacted.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back