cuprinol rollable decking treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys and Gals

we have a bit of a problem, we used the above on about 45sq m of deck about 3 yrs ago.
actually did it twice due to a colour missmatch that cuprinol paid for.

anyway this product is nothing but carp.
it doesnt penetrate the deck and drys like a film.
then it flakes off leaving unsightly patches.
so we decided to go down the road with decking oil, (wish that was the 1st road :cry: )

so in the snow attacked it with the pressure washer and an agressive swirl nozzle :evil:

well the result was mixed with about 50% being removed and the rest with a broken surface.

so we are wondering if you fine people might have had any similar experience and tips to further remove this offensive stuff?

i beleive as it drys out and the sun gets to it, it may further degrade?

thanks in anticipation :)

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I know of no way if the pressure washer failed. Thats why we never ever recommend a coloured stain on our decks, but that's too late for you. If you DO find a way, please post it for others to use.

Are your deck boards reversible?

weve tried everything, pressure washer, floor scruber etc etc. ended up taking the boards up and replacing them on the jobs weve encountered it on:cry:

Sponsored Links
will be after the floor sander!

if youve got the patience you could try wire wool

Could try a powered rotary wire brush on a drill maybe? Would have to check it on a little part first to see if it did any damage. Or you could ask someone to make you a tool which exactly fits the grooves of the boards. If you know someone who has access to a workshop, it might work and would be pretty easy to make in a scraper style.

wire brushing would create a fluffy surface so would scraping :confused: :eek:

What about if you use the sand blasting kit you can get for most pressure washers?
I know they sand blast oak beams to get them looking like new so it might work.

What about if you use the sand blasting kit you can get for most pressure washers?
I know they sand blast oak beams to get them looking like new so it might work.

done that got one from machine mart, anyone used one of these and what about the sand it needs to contain no stones :oops:

If it's got a film then definitely give a methylene chloride based paint stripper a go. Nasty to use but sound like it may be the easiest solution.

Just realised the original post was made in March, I wonder how the problem was fixed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back