kitchen/diner floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have just knocked the wall down between my kitchen and dining room to make one big open space.
I now have 2 floors (well 3 actually due to the old kitchen cupboards) that are different levels.
I have pretty much levelled or removed slate tiles from areas where the room was a lot higher and now want to create a level floor (the total area is about 25 square metres = 7metres by 3.5 metres)

I have heard several different ways of doing this - and several different terms and do not know the difference between them eg. screed, concrete, self levelling latex etc.

Half of the current floor is a kind of inch think bitumen which i guess is good for damp proof (this will be my new kitchen area).
the other side (which used to be my old kitchen) is mainly concrete and quarry tiles. I would like to level the area between the two rooms - I was planning on mixing cement and balast to do this.

What do i need to do, to protect the area from damp too? Is bitumen paint good enough after I have concreted?

Lastly, where i removed the old wall, there is a row of bricks about an inch below floor level that I am planning on concreting over. I guess this old wall goes right down to foundations, do i need to do anything special here i.e/. put damp proof material ontop of bricks and under the concrete etc

Should i concrete the main areas and then buy self leveling latex to go over the whole floor?

Sponsored Links
difference between them eg. screed, concrete, self levelling latex

the difference between them is really only the thickness that can be easily applied. typ thicknesses are concrete 2" & greater, screed 1", self leveller 1/4" (5mm). they are usually poured in that order.

What do i need to do, to protect the area from damp too? Is bitumen paint good enough after I have concreted?

depends on thickness of overcoat ideally a dpm sheet. certainly ok for concrete. no good for screed less than 1" and no good for leveller. if dpm can't be used then something needs to go over the top (or underneath). bitumen is one of many. visit you nearest builders merchants.

where i removed the old wall, there is a row of bricks

this will go down to the foundations. put dpc or dpm down before infilling with screed or concrete.

Should i concrete the main areas and then buy self levelling latex to go over the whole floor?

sounds good (often depth won't allow concrete unless u start digging out and then new building regs come into force). latex leveller is essential to get a good level surface (nb it will only self level to 3mm so u need to level with a trowel as u pour each batch).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back