New light won't dim - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a new 4 light bow spotlight bar but didnt take a note of the original wiring for the previous light. There were 2 main cables each with a red, black and earth wire. I connected the black wire from the switch to the live terminal on the light, the two red wires I wired together, the two earth wires together and into the earth terminal on the light and finally the remaining black wire to the Neutral on the light. I had an existing dimmer and it switches them on and off but won't dim them. I have the same light in another room and it worked on the existing dimmer in that room so not sure what has gone wrong here. Any advice would be greatfully received.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
the way i read it, your dimmer is either:
a) faulty
b) blown up
c) under rated since it only turns on and off

with lights you have to have the correct dimmer, some transfomers (that power lights) can not be dimmed

we would need to know:
a) what watt lamps are (and how many)
b) what watt dimmer is
c) are they mains amps or low voltage
d) what does lights transformer (if fitted) say?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back