Mono Pitch Roof Dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys and Gals,

Very soon i am building a single story extension at the back of my house, it will jointo an existing kitchen which has a mono-pitched roof, my questions are as follows;

1. Is there anyway without rebuilding both roofs to find the angle of the existing one so the new roof will match up with it ???

2. I am intending to screw a piece of 6"x2" to the back of the house then run 4"x2" rafters from it to the base plate on the new extension, will this be the best way to do it ???

Any help you could provide would be very much appreciated. :confused:

Sponsored Links
[quote="staningrimsby";p="864599"
1. Is there anyway without rebuilding both roofs to find the angle of the existing one so the new roof will match up with it ???

there are several ways:
1. spirit level angle finder. 2. hand held angle finder. 3. expose the existing rafter, mark it with an upright pencil line (using a small level) then set a sliding bevel to the line. 4. remove the roof tiles and string a line.

2. I am intending to screw a piece of 6"x2" to the back of the house then run 4"x2" rafters from it to the base plate on the new extension, will this be the best way to do it ???

sounds ok for a lean-to roof. rafter span will dictate timber section size. you will need to bolt the pitching plate to the wall. so long as the plate can accommodate the splayed cut then you will be ok. don't forget the ceiling joists and a pole plate for these.

[/quote]

Sponsored Links
there are wall plates, bearer plates, pole plates and pitching plates.

who knows:cool:

who cares!

so long as you describe what you are talking about with a degree of accuracy, then we will follow. ;)

TonyB.(ex slater & Tiler/advanced craft/roofing lecturer/Chartered Surveyor/)Hi Stan-You can buy an angle finder from most good roofing merchants which is easy to use and will allow you to determine and copy roof pitch.Regarding 4 x 2 timber plate to structure to carry roof rafters,this seems fine,I would ask building merchants for correct expansion bolts /off hand I recall M8 check -and just take care not to overtighten bolts which will the crack bricks if overtightened.Bed wall plate and tie to main structure generally using galv. straps.The size of refters depends on length,obviously support half way would be required if the length and weight determined this.The scale can be advised by your building merchant.Joining onto anything normally is common sense,mono ridge are best fixed using a batton temporarily fixed to structure to keep tails of mono ridge straight whilt mortar sets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back