Party Wall Thickness in a Terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a 1903 Terrace that has 9 Inch External walls.

Is the wall between us and the neighbours likely to be the same?

Matt

Sponsored Links
They generally are, but you can't rely on it definitely being so.

Way to check: measure externally between an opening on your side of the wall and one on theirs. Then do the same inside in both properties, from the opening to the party wall. Subtract the total inner dims from the external measurement.

If it's a 9" wall, then the difference should be in the order of 245mm, allowing for plaster finishes. Less than that, it's a half brick wall.

More often than not i've found them to be 4".

Nice way of checking Shytalkz. I tend to look up in the loft but not always visible.

Thanks for the info guys.

I reckon one side of the house will be thicker than the other, because one side was built in 1930, ours were the first in the street.

The reason I ask is because I'm building some floating shelves into one of the chimney alcoves downstairs, I was going to use some 110mm fixing anchors I have spare but I dont think I dare drill that deeply now!

Thanks Again

Sponsored Links
More often than not i've found them to be 4".

Nice way of checking Shytalkz. I tend to look up in the loft but not always visible.
We clearly have a better class of terrace in Norwich, then :).

Know a surveyor who got successfully sued by a purchaser (Lowestoft, much lower class of housing stock...!), as he missed that what was now the external wall used to be a party wall and was only 4"; notwithstanding that the proximity of the door and window to the external return should have made him twig anyhow, a simple measurement would have revealed that it was not 9".

I think that I'm further south than Norfolk :eek:

But I can confirm not part of the rich south hoi polloi

You're about level with us. Any truth in the rumour that the recent earthquake caused £74M of improvements there? :LOL: :LOL:

Well, back on topic :rolleyes:

Using shytalkz method I was able to determine that one side of our house is double brick and the other is single brick :( Always wondered why there was more noise from one side.

Also, while making my enquiries got roped into putting up some shelves for one neighbour and drilling a waste pipe hole for the other :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back