Good time of year to install double glazing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been on the todo list for a while. My intention was to buy the units and DIY fit, but the upstairs is a pain for access due to the conservatory on the back of the house, and porch sticking out at the front.

Are the DG companies significantly quieter at this time of year that there are deals to be had?

Gary

Sponsored Links
Normally trade starts to pick up at this time of year as folks have got over the expense of Christmas & start to get quotes in for a spring re-fit; with the economy how it is at the moment, it may well be slow! How much this could affect price rather depends on how high a mark up is applied in the first place. Inflated quotes from large nationals means they can knock more off if they have to but smaller, local companies usually have more competitive pricing to start off with so any potential discount will be limited; they can only give so much or they’ll go bust!

Personally, I don’t think DIY fit is worth the hassle except for the odd window, particularly if you’ve not done it before. Too many potential problems if you get it wrong for a saving of around 50 quid a window; & then there’s the LABC conformance certificate to take care of & no extended warranty! Get several quotes from the smaller local companies in your area, let them know they are in competition & get recommendations if you can. You will quickly see which companies are overcharging as prices can be remarkably close but you must make sure your comparing like with like, not all windows are equal!

Do make sure your chosen company includes any access scaffolding & making good, at least on the outside, in their quote as these are popular "extras" to catch you out with once youve signed the contract!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice - I think I'll get some quotes in then go for the lazy option. I'm probably going to do the guttering/soffits/facias at the same time, and have never been a fan of heights!

Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back