New Windows - Accept or Reject?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

Grateful for any advice on the following situation.

Just had some new windows fitted. I noticed today after the fitters had left that on one of the frames...

1. Two of the plastic welded corners have a slight split in them.
2. One side of the opening windows has lockable handles but the other just has push button.
3. The push button window side does not close fully tight when locked.

Unfortunately I was not around when the fitters finished for the day but they are due back on Monday. With regards to the above I was thinking that I should reject this window as faulty. However, I don't know if this thing is quite normal but just not normally seen by the customer before the fitter...

1. Fills the splits with some sort of filler.
2. Says that these are necessary fire escape handles or something else.
3. Re-aligns the locks etc so it all closes tightly.

What do you think? Is this window sub standard and therefore I should insist on a replacement or should I accept it it if is 'repaired'?

Many thanks for your opinions. As mentioned I am thinking that I will say I want it replaced unless someone/they can convince me otherwise.

Thanks for any help/advice/suggestions.

Sponsored Links
I would make a note (as you have done) and check the work at the end of the install. If you have concerns/snags they should be dealt with then

I don't know what the regs are for escape windows (re locks) but there are some pro fitters who get on this forum and I am sure that they would help. failing that a call to your local building regs guy at the council will put you straight.

Are you getting a FENSA cert at the end of the job ?

If you arnt happy, talk to them, probably whats big for you is snaggin for them

Some companies do not fit locking handles on designated escape windows. these sashes usually open to approx 89deg its a grey area,we have now started to fit the egress hinges on all side opening sashes as a matter of course but still fit locking handles to all sashes and our local authority have no problems with this.

the fact that the sash does not shut correctly, its probably just not been adjusted when fitted or not packed correctly.

the crack in the fusion weld can be a number of things. if the welding plate teflon is not clean this can cause small gaps (very minute that look like cracks . Does the crack appear to go right through. usually the weld is stronger than the actual profile so if knocked the weld will run but then break across the corner,rare that the weld just parts along its entirety.
if the companys heater plates and machinery are operating correctly.

try to post a picture of the said crack,photograph both sides of the weld if poss,Ill see what i think

if the windows are manufactured to any quality standard ie ISO9002 etc etc the qc should have picked up if it did not meet the manufacturing standard of that company.

as you mentioned most of the time minor imperfections are corrected prior to completion and are usually no detriment to the windows performance etc. if adjusted and packed correctly, this is not correcting faults but merely ensuring the window is fitted and operating correctly to give you trouble free operation .Pvcu windows and doors must be fitted correctly and packed and adjusted on the cams etc. as very often the window fabricators only assemble them .and leave the adjustments to the fitters.

on a final note i suspect it was nearing fri knock off so you ended up with a typical late fri finish. (it'll do till monday scenario.)
seen it a million times both in fabricating and installation.

sorry about the long post but hope this has settled your mind a little bit don't let it spoil you weekend fretting about it, our motto is,No such thing as problems only solutions. but do try to post the pictures.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the replies. Sounds like I should see how things go tomorrow once I bring these things to their attention.

wms No worries about the long reply, I really appreciate you taking the time to do it. The weld is fine, by that I mean complete, on the outside, it's just the inside that looks like this....

windowsplit1th2.jpg

What do you think? Fundamental flaw or snagging?

Looks like what I suspected. what we would call a bad weld ( bad being that the weld is not consistent)and the fusion process has not fully occurred ,as previously explained if the heater plate teflon has a build up of contamination,then the heat from it at the contact point between plate and profile is not quite as hot as the rest of the contact area.thus during the short time while the plates are removed,and the cycle goes into clamping the bit where the two profiles are pushed back together upon contact this has started to cool below fusion temperature and prevents full fusion.in the affected area.

This should have been picked up at the fabricating stage the weld appears to be intact except where the front edge has not fused correctly profiles nowdays have multiple chambers and if the front is a complete weld then in my opinion this should be ok if repaired, as the other chambers usually tend to be welded also . a cosmetic repair is required and should remove the unsightly split.

Had this have been picked up in my fabrication process,a test weld would have been carried out and tested to destruction,to see that the welds performed correctly. if so the heater plates cleaned and the repair carried out prior to leaving my factory. I could explain what would happen if not but would be here all night.

However do not let the company fob you off just filling it with silicon,
there are many waxes and two part fillers that will do the job correctly. if they have no one qualified in executing a professional repair. then insist that they change it . but my advice is stay calm when explaining the concerns that you have with the window. it will keep you with the upper hand.

once again a long post but hope enough information to help you.

And as a final note The pen is mightier than the sword!

Thanks for the reply wms

Your posts have certainly been useful for me and hopefully they will be for others too.

In respect of the current 'issues'. The fitters have agreed to sort them out and acknowledged that it was just a case of getting them in and weather proof over the weekend with the intention of sorting out the snagging this week. So looks like it will be okay.

Thanks again for your help.

Nice replies wms.

I've often wondered about these cracks in the welds, and if they will get worse, and how they should be repaired. Especially on cill sections as these would seem to be subject to more movement or flexing

Is there some sort of portable heating device which could repair the weld on site? Or is it just a case of filling and smoothing with filler?

Years ago we used to have a portable heat gun that was fine nozzled.but if not careful made job worse than when it started,due to overheating and distorting it eventually gave up the ghost so never bothered getting another.

the other repair methods available have come on leaps and bounds and we have not had any reported problems with any repairs carried out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back