Footings and Cavitys Querie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, hope everyone is well,

I have been a plumber for the last 6 years and a plasterer for the last 2 but after receiving 3 very over priced quotes for building my small extension i have decided to have a go myself.

My previous building experience goes a far as building a new garden wall which i must say i am very proud of it looks fantastic, so the brick laying side of things does not bother me, my questions are as follows;

1 When my footings are in place how far below ground level do i start with the engineering bricks ???

2. I am planning on a 50mm cavity, as i said this is a small extension so space is at a premium, or is there a minimum size for the cavity ???

My footings are going 1mr down as i am in close proximity to an anglian water sewer pipe so have to go down lower than that.

Any advice you could provide me with will be greatly appreciated, :)

Sponsored Links
[quote="staningrimsby";p="868474"
1 When my footings are in place how far below ground level do i start with the engineering bricks ???
whatever masonry will be visible once soil/grass/patio is reinstated. if the ground level deviates, then account for this with the brickwork.

2. I am planning on a 50mm cavity, as i said this is a small extension so space is at a premium, or is there a minimum size for the cavity ???
we are now using 100mm cavities with full fill dritherm cavity batts. you may be able to make the cavity smaller by using a rigid board insulation but don't count on it.

My footings are going 1mr down as i am in close proximity to an anglian water sewer pipe so have to go down lower than that.

generally a 1m dig is satisfactory. however, foundations that are in close proximity to drainage pipes do need to be lower than the drain invert.
Any advice you could provide me with will be greatly appreciated,

:)[/quote]

The sewer pipe is 500mm down in my garden, i have been 5 houses down the road where the manhole is and at that point it is 1.2m deep.

If you have masonry construction with a 50mm cavity, you will have to have a thicker internal block or dry-line with insulated board - so there is no advantage - the wall is going to be 300mm thick whatever. Set the extension out based on the internal space requirement.

Alternatively, have a timber frame construction and your wall can be just under 150mm thick.

You need a building over permission from the water authority if you arre building over their sewer.

Are you sure its a sewer or is it a private drain?

Engineers usually start 225 (3 course) below ground to give a frost cover.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Woody,

I spoke to the council and they looked on a program called "DigDat"

and said it defo a sewr pipe, im not building over it but will be only

650 mm away from it.

Cheers Woody,

I spoke to the council and they looked on a program called "DigDat"

and said it defo a sewr pipe, im not building over it but will be only

650 mm away from it.

Building within 3m of a public sewer will generally require permission from the water authority - plus their fees and obligatory camera survey.

£500 later you get permission

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back